Wetsuit cleaning ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this is a dumb question, but then again the only dumb question is the one you don't ask right?

Our local dive shop charges a cleaning fee on the wetsuit rentals "if needed"... Am I missing something here? I thought the only cleaning was soaking/rinsing with clean fresh water?

Why would anyone actually *EDIT* "Wet" thier wetsuit ??

rottielover:
I know this is a dumb question, but then again the only dumb question is the one you don't ask right?

Our local dive shop charges a cleaning fee on the wetsuit rentals "if needed"... Am I missing something here? I thought the only cleaning was soaking/rinsing with clean fresh water?

Typically, that is only charged if the wetsuit is brought in caked with sand, or something like that.

rottielover:
The combination of being chilled by the water and having drunk a lot of liquid to be sure that one is hydrated will often bring on a strong urge to urinate.

While it may be counterintuitive, find it best to drink lots and lots of fluids.

Dilution is the solution to pollution.

If your wetsuit is foul smelling, just rinse it out in some fresh water, or some water and baby shampoo. I suspect that the "cleaning fee" is just a polite way of telling divers that they would really prefer that you not bring back foul smelling wetsuits. If you "use" it, then rinse it. :wink:

I wouldn't rent from those people...

For the last 7 years I've been wearing the same wetsuit and it smells fresh as a daisy and it looks almost like the day I bought it.... I simply put a 1/4 cup of laundry detergent and some fresh water into a small tub and soak it in there for about 5 minutes then I hang it out to dry...

rottielover:

I usually transport my gear in a Sterlite box (one big enough for my fins.) After the dives I just run fresh water in the box and rinse my stuff, regs and computer first. Then it's back in the box for the trip home.
The only quirk in this would be leaving wet neoprene in a closed box for several days -- ewww! So do dry things completely, out of the sun, before storage.
That should satisfy your LDS.

rottielover:

If you're well hydrated more often than not you will "have the urge" (see other current thread) before the dive is out, sometimes just as you stand at the end of the dive. Taking relief beats the heck out of holding it. There are phisiological reasons that promote urin production while diving, don't fight it.

I've had my share of relief and a dunk and swish in clean water seems to work for me and my wife. Leave the suit inside out for washing and drying.

I suspect that as mentioned the shop is encouraging you to bring the sut back in tidy condition, not coverd with sand and other ground crud. I keep a small tarp in by bag that I step onto after removing my booties Sometimes after fresh water dives I'll go right out in the water to doff and rinse the suit. Makes for a quick clean-up at home.
Just treat it like it was your own and you will probably be OK.

some sink the stink will kill the smell, whether man made or ocean made..

There is an old saw about the the two kinds of divers: those that admit to peeing in their wetsuits and those that...won't admit to it. In reality, there might be a third kind: the dehydrated diver. Submersion causes some interesting physiological effects on the body, hyperactive kidneys is one of them. :flush:

At the very least, suits should be thoroughly rinsed in clean, fresh water before being returned to the shop. Not lake water, not quarry water, but good old-fashioned tap water. If you aren't taking the suit back immediately, it should be hung (on a wide shouldered hanger) out of the sun to dry.

Responsible shops will ask that suits be returned clean and then wash & sanitize them anyway, just to be sure. Bring a suit back with mud/sand/salt on it or that smells like a fish tank - or a toilet - and you should expect to pay an additional fee based on the gross-out factor.

I've worked in dive shops and I can tell you that handling returned wetsuits is the most disgusting job in the place. I'll promise you this: anybody detailed to the job of cleaning a weekends worth of returned rental suits will never dive in one again... :l:

reefraff:
I'll promise you this: anybody detailed to the job of cleaning a weekends worth of returned rental suits will never dive in one again... :l:

One more reason for exposure protection to be high on the "what do I buy first" list.

Pete

Yikes, def. going to jump all over that sale on wetsuit's that my LDS is running!

Back
Top Bottom