Good OW Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFishee

Reaction score
Well.... I did it. I'm certified!!! :thumb:

About a week ago, I just decided "I'm going to do this! " So, last Thursday, I did a refresher course in the pool to get my confidence back. Then, this weekend, I just went for it.

There were a some unexpected challenges, but they actually turned out to be benefits. For example, visibility was very, very poor. The instructors had to do skills one or two students at a time for safety's sake. But the bad visibility made compass navigation easier because we had no visual clues. And now that I know what near 0 visibility is like, I know can handle it calmly when someone kicks up the bottom and I can't see. Plus, an added bonus: When I do AOW down the road, learning night diving doesn't seem so bad after all anymore!

Water temp at the thermocline went from 80 to 55 degrees. That was an experience! But I found out that I'm a true cold-water diver because 55 just didn't seem cold to me at all in my one-piece 7mm jumpsuit and no gloves. I did wear my hood. My instructor said because I was so warm and comfortable, I could probably try a 5mm (and less weight) to see if that works for me.

Guess running around with no coat and gloves in all those cold Michigan winters wasn't such a bad idea after all. :D

And for those of you who are wondering, yes, I did snorkel. My instructor laughed at me because I still don't *like* snorkeling on the surface anymore, but I gladly performed (and enjoyed) all the skin dives and underwater swims with my snorkel. Go figure! :D

Anyway, I wanted to say "Thanks" again to all the wonderful members who gave me support and advice after my Bad OW Experience. I learned a lot from you all and you gave me the courage to follow through and achieve a live long dream!

Now, the fun and the learning are just beginning...

Hope to see you underwater sometime!

We're very proud of you!

Well, Fishee,
We midwesterners can plow thru anything we put our minds to! Sounds like you would really enjoy night diving (as I do.) Navigation is an important skill, & it sounds like you have a great start on it! You didn't let anything keep you from your goal. This will be one of those success stories we tell trepidacious friends who are having trouble at first.

Oh I just KNEW you could do it! (And hey, if a desert rat like myself can handle 65 degree water at the thermocline, a Michiganer such as yourself should have NO problem with 55!!!!:) )

Congrats and I do hope to see you underwater sometime!

Kristey (Who also has a brand new c-card!)
:wink:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

knew you could/would do it!!! I'm so glad to hear that you didn't give up. whenever you're ready for Gilboa...the Dive Mates are there almost every weekend. look us up!

Kim

Congradulations. I hope you enjoy the new world opened up to you.

Chad

Great job getting back up on the horse and riding.

Best wishes on your future dives.

In discussing night diving in Cozumel with my wife she asked me if the vis was worse than low/no vis quarry diving around here. My response and the response of several others... its better...He reply was No problem. She did great.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom