OW dive question... newbie with question-- please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggie1224

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone.... I have been reading this site and I hope I can get some advice for my open dive, scheduled in a week.

I'm taking a PADI course and quite happy with it.... very informative. Been in the pool three times... also fun and I haven't had much trouble... except the first day I got a little nervous and needed to get my underwater breathing under control... (I had that "holding breath" tendency) and kept getting too buoyant-- which frustrated me...
but once I got a grip on that I've been fine.
My concern is our open dive next weekend is going to be in 50-60 degree water with 55 degree air temp (most likely).... We can rent the thick wetsuits and hoods.... but I'm wondering... will I shiver so much it will mess my breathing up?? I think I can handle the cold mentally-- I'm worried about my body's response in terms of shaking and breathing because of the cold. I'm 42, female, in decent shape-I hope, lol...
Any tips... any anything would be appreciated!!

Hi,
As long as you wear proper exposure protection, a 7mm if you are on the cold side, you will be fine. Also you should try to drink warm liquids before and between dives and i think you will be fine :) You should tell your concerns to your instructor and i'm sure he'll be able to help you.

Hi Maggie,

I highly recommend renting (if you don't own) a two-piece 7 mm think wetsuit with a hood, gloves and boots. I was out diving yesterday in 51 degree water and I was comfortable in the above configuration for both of my dives (but of course, not as comfortable as the Caribbean - sigh).

With the proper exposure suit (including gloves and hood), I don't think the cold water will interfere with your breathing, except, perhaps, initial rush of cold water down the back of your neck! Woohoo!

Dive 1 should be an orientation dive to ensure you're comfortable in the open water. Some instructors like to try a few of the skills you've been practicing in the pool on the first dive, while others like leave the skills to dive 2. Either way, keeping active will help generate warmth during the dive. Even when you're in a stationary position practicing skills, you can flex your arms and fingers, roll your shoulders, wiggle your toes and kick a bit (while holding onto something).

During the surface interval, I suggest taking off your wetsuit (at least the top half) and getting into some warm clothes, including a warm winter jacket, hat and gloves. Also try to stay out of the cold air and wind on your surface interval as much as possible (like in someone's vehicle).

I'd also recommend bringing a thermos of hot water to pour into your gloves, hood, wetsuit arms and legs, especially if you're doing a second dive on the same day. This will ease the chill of getting into a cold wetsuit after the surface interval.

All the best. Please give us an update next week.

Cheers

Hi Maggie

Scuba_Mike gave an excellent answer. A 7mm Jane and jacket or full suit with a core warmer and you should be fine with hood, booties and gloves. I'm assuming you have already been exposed to doing drill in gloves and a hood during the pool sessions.

Bring some bottles (in a warmed cooler) or thermoses of very warm (not too hot) tap water. Fill your booties 1/2 way before zipping them up, pour some in around your wais then down the collar as you suit up, don't fo get the sleeves. Getting some wetness in the suit will reduce the amount of cold water that enters on entry and save your body a lot of heat energy. You will hardly notice the cold on entry, honest! If you have the time, oportunity and $$ rent a suit and go out for a skin-dive before the big day. My wife and I were already avid skin-divers so we showed with the confidence that comes from knowing. We we certified in late June, I had already been in the water for over 2 months.

As you suit up be methodical. Keep your shirt, sweeatshirt whatever on until your bottom, booties etc are all ready, the don the top half. Minimize the exposure. SAme on the way off peel down to the waist, towel dowm and get a layer or two on, so what if it gets damp, stay covered. Don't forget a good warm hat, Cousteau had that red hat for a reason.

It will be new and exciting and that alone will probably "mess up" your breathing a bit and this is to be expected. Go out have a great time and when you have your card and go diving with your buddies you can start to zero in on developing those techniques.

Have a great time and we all expect a full report
Good Luck,
Pete

Tristessa made a good point, let your instructor know about your concerns. That enables your instructor to know you have concerns, and that means you can plan accordingly, and talk about options. I have been diving in "colder water", I live in Utah, and it suprised me how warm I was in the wet suit. There have been times when I was opening the neck to let in a little cool water. You should be ok, but don't ignore your concerns.

Welcome to scubaboard Maggie. :)

I just finished my cert dives last weekend in 48 degree water in a 7 mm farmer john. I had 2 thermos' with very warm water and they make a big difference. I would suggest drinking some warm liquid as well but not too much. I had some problems with cramping in my calves which I attribute mostly to the cold. Having a banana before your dives will help with that, extra potassium is your friend :)

As mentioned, letting your instructor know up front about your concerns is also a great idea IMO, as you don't want to be worrying about too many external factors during your dives.

Have a great time :)

Bjorn

spectrum:
Hi Maggie

Scuba_Mike gave an excellent answer. A 7mm Jane and jacket or full suit with a core warmer and you should be fine with hood, booties and gloves.

Like they said, this means a 7mm full suit will likely not be enough. I personally use a 7 mm full suit with a 3 mm vest underneath, then a separate hood, 7 mm gloves, and booties. I have a dive buddy that uses a 7 mm full suit, then pulls a 3 mm hooded vest on over the top.

Hey Maggie,

I dove this weekend in PA - temps were in the mid 40's in the air, but the water was clsoer to mid-fifties. You may find it warmer in the water than out. I find that once I get wet and warm up the water in my suit, everything gets nice and pleasant (except maybe the parts of your face that aren't covered). I dove yesterday with a 7mm wetsuit and 5mm gloves, hood, and booties. Personally, I keep my suit on during the SI. That way, it stays reasonably warm (as opposed to taking it off, then putting on an icy cold wet wetsuit).

Riot

Assuming you're going to do some mask clearing during your checkout dives I would suggest you spend a few seconds at the surface with no mask and your face in the water. This will acclimate your face to the cold water so you don’t get startled when you're doing the drills at depth.:icosm13:

You should be warmer in the water than when you get out provided you wear an exposure suit that everyone described above.

My first OW dive the water at the surface was 42 degrees lucky for me the air was a warm 60. Even at 60 you had to go in and cool off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom