where to begin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parachuta

Reaction score
so I am thinking about getting into diving, but I am wondering about initial costs, and where to begin. any help would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome. :hi:

This is a great place to get information. Take a look at some of the older threads on this forum for tips on what gear and techniques to use (and plenty of opinions).

The first thing I'd do is take an Open Water course which will run about $200-250. It's a good way to find out if you like diving before you go out and buy all the equipment.

Before you do buy any equipment take a look at the reviews here and at places like scubadiving and divernet.
Don't just take the advice of the Local Dive Shop (LDS).

Another thing: most of the gear you will need (with the exception of mask, snorkle, fins, and booties) can be rented - this way you can try different equipment / combinations of equipment before buying the big ticket items. You can end up spending anywhere from $250 to $750 on your mask, et al. before class, so add that to Jeb's $200-250 for training.

It's well worth the money spent though!

Depending on where you live and what all is included in your OW class you cost will vary. My OW course was $400 and included my open water check out dives and all necessary equipment expect mask, fins, and snorkel (which buying in the middle of the road cost about $160). Tack on a few miscellaneous items you may want (like a mesh gear bag) and you are close to $600.
When I looked into getting my cert in california instead of here in montana the price really wasnt that much different (okay maybe 100 bucks less). I like the fact that my check out dives were included in the cost of my course, as well as my required text.

Best of luck to you and the best thing to do is just get in there and do it. I procrastinated for years over the cost but the initial cost is an investment into a sport that is more expensive than anyone could ever imagine. $600 is just the tip of the iceburg.

I am also new to diving. (Fixing to start my open water classes) This board is great for advise and support, and like Jeblis said don't only take the advise of your local dive shop, look around, but also don't discount their knowledge. I have found mine to be VERY helpful with selecting what I needed. If you can shop around don't just shop for the least expensive. This is life support training, shop for the best instructors. I am paying 300 for my classes and openwater dives. Since I live in FL there are plenty of places to go, and it wasn't the least expensive. But it was highly recoommended and the people there are very knowledgeable. Anyway, have fun.

Jessica

...or another non-shop affiliated club that offers SCUBA. The shop will get your $$$ in the long run, but it is nice to have an instructor who has no vested interest in selling you more expensive stuff than u need!

I frequent an LDS that has a "used" table & have gotten some fine gear for very reasonable prices there. I discourage e-bay purchases. There are debates on on-line dive-gear retailers; I have not tried them because I need the LDS's service commitment on repairs, etc.

Whether or not the trips & books are included in the price may sound strictly economic; it is not. In SCUBA, we accept that we cannot control the weather. It would be NICE if we could do our checkout dives in desireable locations, but if weather only permits a dive in a boring water hole, do you really want to be pre-charged for the nice place?

Once u are certified, you may rent equipment till u can buy it one piece at a time. Some shops, if they know u will be loyal, will apply rental fees to purchases! Once u have all the equipment, diving can be a cheap sport (about $4/airfill in your tank!) Try to learn beach-diving if $ is a concern; it will save u beau coup on boats!

Parachuta

I'd suggest you research your local dive shops and take a try dive with the one you feel most comfortable with (assuming you can't get any personal recommendations from divers who have trained with a shop). You won't need to spend anything on equipment for that dive but it will at least let you know whether diving is something you (a) will definitely like, (b) might get to like or (c) definitely do not like.

If it's (a) or (b) then sign up for OW. At this point you should invest in your own mask/snorkel and possibly wet suit and fins. Fit is important and rental gear will never fit as well as equipment you personally select. Since fit is important I would never buy a mask or suit online. Fins you can buy online since generally it's a choice between large, medium or small. You can use the online price as a means of getting the price asked by a dive shop reduced.

Wait until after OW before you buy any of the big ticket items like Reg, BC. You need to know what type of diving you want to do first.

Hope this helps.

Regards

yeah all your of your info is helpful and very appreciated thank you. so how do you know when something "fits" ? I am always on the water and involved in sports that take place on its surface, I know about wet suits but masks? how do you know when a mask fits?

When I was picking out my mask the LDS said to make sure that if you breath in slightly it shoud stick to your face without the strap. If it doesn't create a suction there's a leak somewhere and water could get in there.

Jessica

Also remember to hold your head face down to the floor so the only thing holding the mask on is suction.

This method isn't foolproof - make sure the mask looks as if it's the right size for your head. I had a mask which passed the suction test but which always leaked because it was too small for me. I only fixed the problem by changing the mask for a larger one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom