Contact Lenses or Prescription Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul & Leila

Reaction score
Both my wife and I are nearsighted and although my wife's prescription is low enough where she doesn't need correction when under water, my prescription is far worse.

Between wearing contact lenses and purchasing a prescription mask which would you prefer and why?

There was a recent thread about this - maybe in the medical category - so you might want to do a search.

Personally, I use disposable contacts, and they have worked well. When I have had a bad mask flood, I just threw out the possibly contaminated pair and switched to fresh ones. I am really nearsighted - I guess I am afraid of breakding a prescription mask and ruining a trip.

Kelp - Thanks ... I found several threads after I posted this. I should have checked first.

I was concerned about contacts because if my mask does flood then I could potentially lose my contacts and be 'blind' until I get back to the surface. I guess this is not so likely? Also I'm asking because I'm looking at masks for our SCUBA training and I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the money on a prescription mask ($$$) right now.

I prefer contact lenses. Also, when diving in salt water, getting a little water splashed in the eyes from a leaky mask doesn't dry them up and make them fall out like fresh water does.

I wear contacts. While I will admit that the recent threads regarding eye infections while diving with contacts gave me pause, I have not yet gotten around to ordering the prescription mask.

So far, so good.

I wore contacts for about 15 years while diving until just recently when I finally had the LASIK surgery done. In all that time I never had even one bad reaction to salt water in my eyes and the one time I lost a contact was during a surf exit when I took my mask off before I was through the surf and a wave hit my in the head. This was my fault because I knew better then to take my mask off before I was out but had one of those brain farts people talk about. While I was doing my Instructor training in South Florida I even did all the mask removal with my contacts in and like tbg said the salt water doesn't seem to affect contacts like fresh water does. But if you can afford it the LASIK surgery is worth every dime. No more worries about loosing contacts, no more having to carry an extra pair in my dry box just incase, and being able to see clearly all the time is a deal even at twice the price.

Scott

:)

Wow ... it seems like a lot of people wear contacts with their masks. Do you have problems with they drying out? Or do they feel the same as when on land?

PadiPro - Lasik :) Will have it done after we have both graduated :)

Paul,

Never felt any different then on land. I never had one problem while wearing them, no drying, no lost lens, no blured vision, nothing. I've heard all the horror stories about wearing contacts while diving but with as bad as my eye sight was before the LASIK surgery wearing glasses or a percription mask was out of the question.

Scott

For whatever weird reason, my contacts actually feel better after a dive. I should add that 90% of my diving is in salt water.

A couple of reasons are:

-I wear disposable contacts and they are cheaper to replace then a mask
-When my percrip. changes I don't have the added bill of replacing the mask lens
-Also I'd be nervous about scratching the mask

I've never had a problem with them as of yet...

That's my 2 cents....

Back
Top Bottom