What does one do with new equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Well, took the plunge (heh), and actually went out and splurged on my own equipment - mainly regs and bcd. I'm not going diving for another month, but the stuff shows up tomorrow. What should I do with it?
a) Take it down to the LDS and have 'em look it over? (kind of like when one buys a used car, and takes it down to the local garage)
b) Just wait till I get down to Playa del Carmen, and do the same with the dive operator there?
c) Some third option involving me?

I know, kind of a dumb question, but I truly have no idea....

Cheers

Not a dumb question... When I got my equipment I tested it out in my LDS pool..

I have bought used equipment and the first thing I would do is take it to your LDS/expert. I had an Octo+ (Inflator/Octo combo) that was really slow to inflate the BC. Just my 2 sense...
If you are buying new I might just try it before you go...

Use this as an excuse to take a spontaneous dive trip. We booked a trip to Florida before our Bahamas trip and I'll get to try out my new BC and Camera now before the big trip.

Miranda

I take it the equipment you are getting brand New (or) is it New to you and Used?

New? It would not hurt to have a quick checkup done.

Used? Yes get it checked.< VERY Important!

Regardless..... Yeah you will need to dive it before you go .
Get comfortable with any new piece of gear.

Hre's to great and Safe diving to you in 2006.
Cheers!

dieswaytoofast:
Well, took the plunge (heh), and actually went out and splurged on my own equipment - mainly regs and bcd. I'm not going diving for another month, but the stuff shows up tomorrow. What should I do with it?
a) Take it down to the LDS and have 'em look it over? (kind of like when one buys a used car, and takes it down to the local garage)
b) Just wait till I get down to Playa del Carmen, and do the same with the dive operator there?
c) Some third option involving me?

I know, kind of a dumb question, but I truly have no idea....

Cheers

Not a dumb question at all... based on my personal experience, here are my recommendations: When I bought my first set of regs, I was surprised to find the various parts needed to be put assembled (octopus and spg needed to be attached to the first stage, for example). And when I bought my latest BCD, I spent a fair amount of time making use of the different options for a good fit.

First things to do:
1) Open the boxes and see what you've got; arrange to get the regulator set assembled if necessary.
2) Put on your BCD and make it fit right. Lots of them (especially women's models) have different ways of adjusting the cumberbund, shoulder straps, and so on, and the little owner's manual doesn't always spell out how exactly these adjustments can be made. Sometimes you'll have to peek into the various folds and overlapping parts to figure out how to shorten or lengthen the cumberbund, for instance.
3) Play with the release clips to make sure you know how they open, and practice threading the tank band into the buckle so you can do it yourself in case it comes unthreaded (this somehow used to happen to me when I was a new diver).

Next go try it out in a pool:
4) Decide if you like your weights integrated (if that's an option) or if you prefer to use a weight belt instead.
5) See if you've adjusted the cumberbund to a comfortable length, and make sure the whole rig is snug so that it doesn't slip around you, making you tip to one side while you swim (turn a bit sideways to test this). Remember that your body will compress a bit as you get deeper, and the BCD will feel a little looser as you descend.
6) Get used to how the air travels around through the bladder, especially if your new BCD is the hybrid kind with a semi-wing and you've been diving with a traditional jacket-style.

For what it's worth :05:

The time to find out that your new equipment is not functioning properly is NOT when you arrive at a dive destination that you are paying good $$$ for.

New equipment is also something you need to become comfortable with before you dive someplace special.

As you are new to SB, and did not fill out a profile I have no way to judge your dving experience or knowledge. Be aware that MANY LDS's do NOT appreciate people who purchase gear online. :wink:

If your gear is used, you need it checked out. This could run $150 for service of BC, reg, and octo depending upon shop rates, and what the shop charges for. If it's new, then you should schedule at least one pool session, or better yet go dive it someplace local if possible.

Welcome to SB!

Go down to your LDS. Even new gear can use some tuning. Especially sensitive regs can use some adjusting when they arrive, (making sure it breathes well, but doesn't bubble, etc.) and you may be surprised by how many little do-dads are needed, but didn't arrive with the BC, (i.e., an Octo-holder and clips for gauges).
It's always a bummer to show up to a dive site, and spend precious time you could be underwater trying to get your gear ready.

Join a local Dive Club. Then if they have a pool use it. If you have a lake near you that you can go very shallow, if weather permits, use it. If the dive club does not have a pool that is or if you are like in Missouri and the average water temp is 50 degrees. Like someone said if it is used have LDS do service on it and also do a dive to try it out. You do not want to get to your warm water dive spot and it fails and you are out $$$$$$$. Also, congrats on your purchase and welcome to SCUBABOARD :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom