Confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skierbri10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I tried a search but didn't find anything adequate for my info.

I am really new to scuba and haven't taken a class yet, but I have questions. Boy do I have questions. Mostly about equipment.

1. What is the difference between a regulator and an octopus?
  2. Do you need an octo to use a BCD?
  3. How do you see your gauges in low light?
  4. What is most common, DIN or that other kind?
  5. What is better aluminum or steel tanks?
I will think of more questions you can count on it. But, that is the list for now.

skierbri10:
What is the difference between a regulator and an octopus?
The regulator is the entire system, including a first stage, one or two second stages, normally a pressure guage, and normally an inflator hose for a BCD. "Octopus" normally refers to a backup second stage on a regulator.
skierbri10:
Do you need an octo to use a BCD?
No, snorkelers go without any regulator at all. A SCUBA diver with no power inflator is unusual, but possible.
skierbri10:
How do you see your gauges in low light?
They either glow in the dark, have a light, or can be illuminated by a dive light.
skierbri10:
What is most common, DIN or that other kind?
In the US, yoke is more common.
skierbri10:
What is better aluminum or steel tanks?
That depends on the application.

You'll learn the answers to some of these things in your certification class.

Regulators come in two pieces -- the first stage, which steps the pressure in your tank down to an intermediate pressure, and the second stage, which steps the pressure down further and delivers air to your mouth. Most divers now dive with two second stages -- either a primary and a secondary, or a primary and an alternate air source (eg. Air2). The idea is to have the ability to donate air to your buddy if it becomes necessary.

A BCD is a buoyancy compensator device. This is an air bladder which you strap onto your body, which compensates for the excess weight you need to wear at the beginning of a dive to make up for the air you are going to consume while underwater. Octopuses and BCs are two entirely different subjects.

Seeing your gauges in low light is a challenge! Many gauges have the ability to backlight if certain buttons are pushed, or you can shine your dive light on the face of the gauge. Those of us who have achieved (cough, cough) a certain age, are further challenged, because old eyes have more problems in dim light. You can get bifocal lenses for a dive mask if you are in that cohort.

In my experience, most rental tanks in the US and Hawaii are yoke.

Aluminum and steel tanks have different buoyancy characteristics. Which is better depends on where you dive. For us, in the PNW, diving in dry suits with LOTS of undergarment, steel tanks have better buoyancy characteristics. Diving in Hawaii, aluminum tanks are quite usable.

Spend some time perusing the archives of ScubaBoard. Almost any question you can come up with has been asked at some point (probably recently) and answered. We have an wonderful population of experienced and knowledgeable people who are very patient with questions here.

When it comes to DIN there are two variants of it. There's a version for lower pressures and one for higher pressures, and they are not compatible. The lower pressure version often comes with an insert that allows you to use a yoke mount reg as well.

For most recreational diving in the US you'll find yoke mounts common and seldom see a DIN hookup. DINS screw in like a big screw and yokes clamp on. If you think you'll get into technical diving save money and start with DIN, otherwise go with the yoke mount.

TSandM alluded to it by saying steel has better buoyancy characteristics, but to explain that in a way that makes sense to a non diver might be useful. What that means is that an AL80 tank (means aluminum 80 cubic feet, side bar it's really 77.4 mainly) might require me to wear more lead to get neutral. In a nutshell AL tanks are often but not always positive by 4 or 5 lbs for an 80 cf size, where a steel tank is often but not always 0 to -2 lbs negative. The difference is how much weight you can take off your belt or out of the integrated weights.

As far as steel vs aluminum tank comparison goes, my understanding is that steel tank is neutrally buoyant, aluminum tank is positively buoyant.

The term "octopus" may be used in mutiple context and may be confusing.

A scube regulator normally consists of a 1st stage which takes gas from a tank at pressures between a couple hundred psi to 4000+ psi and reduces that pressure to a level that is managable by a 2nd stage (the part that goes in your mouth). Attached to the 1st stage you will normally find two 2nd stages, a primary 2nd that the diver usually breaths from and an alternate 2nd that is a backup. This alternate 2nd stage is often referred to as and "octo" which is short for octopus. And that is usually what one means when they refer to an octo or octopus. However, this regulator, with the 3, 4, or sometimes more hoses hanging from it does resemble and octopus and may sometimes be refered to as such by some folks. This meaning is much more common on ebay than in and LDS.

Similar confusion is possible with the term "regulator". That term may be use in association with a single stage, with a 1st & 2nd stage (as boxed by the mfgr), or as a complete rig including guages and inflator hoses.

You are asking great questions. If you are or are going to take a scuba class I would suggest going to the dive shop where you are going to take class and ask if you can get your book so you can read it. Most of your questions will be in your reading. Good Luck in your diving class.

divnamite:
As far as steel vs aluminum tank comparison goes, my understanding is that steel tank is neutrally buoyant, aluminum tank is positively buoyant.
Your understanding isn't strictly correct. Aluminium tanks tend to be more bouyant than steel tanks, but the degree to which a given tank is positive or negative depends on the particular tank. Some aluminium tanks are neutral, and some steel tanks are very negative. Check a table like this for specific examples: http://www.huronscuba.com/equipment/scubaCylinderSpecification.html

skierbri10:
I tried a search but didn't find anything adequate for my info.

I am really new to scuba and haven't taken a class yet, but I have questions. Boy do I have questions. Mostly about equipment.

1. What is the difference between a regulator and an octopus?
  2. Do you need an octo to use a BCD?
  3. How do you see your gauges in low light?
  4. What is most common, DIN or that other kind?
  5. What is better aluminum or steel tanks?
I will think of more questions you can count on it. But, that is the list for now.

ummm.... I think you should go hang out at your local scuba shop for a while. It's free to hang out. Just introduce yourself, say that you want to eventually take a class but first are interested in learning more about it. Divers love to talk about diving, dive equipment, dive experiences, dive theory... really we just like to talk about anything to do with diving. There is just too much for you to learn it all from a forum, and you may be getting some lingo that you are unfamiliar with here. Also, you probably don't want to buy equipment before you even learn what kind of equipment you will like.
Welcome to scuba and happy diving! :D

ps - I am so jealous, I would love to have learned how to dive while living in Hawaii!

craborn:
You are asking great questions. If you are or are going to take a scuba class I would suggest going to the dive shop where you are going to take class and ask if you can get your book so you can read it. Most of your questions will be in your reading. Good Luck in your diving class.
First off, thanks for answering my questions, all of you that did. I do have my Open Water PADI book and DVD, but I haven't gotten to the part where it explains the equipment in detail like how you all know it. The other parts of the book didn't give me the detail that I wanted, so I aske y'all the all knowing people of this board. I take my class starting March 20th and I can't wait. If I didn't already have other commitments I would starting sooner. (sigh) Thanks again everyone, and I will continue to try the search feature on this board to find my answers. Does anyone know of a good scuba informational website, with answers similar to the questions I asked so far?
Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom