Snorkle use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjundvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am just curious as to how many of you use or keep a snorkle attached to your mask at all times. I dive in monterey Ca and I don't keep a snorkle attached at all times due to kelp entangalment issues. Only using it if I have a very long surface swim or will be diving in a high current area. SO what do you do and why?

Still doing a lot of experimenting.....but one method I have found on my bp and wing is I can route the snorkle thru a couple of my strap D rings and it stays pretty secure. I can pull it out on surfacing if I need to and it was never in the way. At least this way my mask isnt flooding like it used to when I wore the thing all the time.

I think there are times when a snorkel is really handy...and then the opposite too.

kjundvr:
I am just curious as to how many of you use or keep a snorkle attached to your mask at all times. I dive in monterey Ca and I don't keep a snorkle attached at all times due to kelp entangalment issues. Only using it if I have a very long surface swim or will be diving in a high current area. SO what do you do and why?

Hi kjundvr,

I dove the Monterey(Breakwater) a couple times when the surf was low and little current. I did not even bring a snorkel. Typically, my snorkel stays in my bag on the boat or shore, unless I am specifically going snorkelling. Personally, I have very little use for it. Like you mention, heavy current/surf may warrant it, but if it's that bad I just use my reg. I have always had enough gas left after a dive to swim a ways on the surface if I need to, using some of the reserve gas. Good gas mgt. will allow this.

If the surf is that heavy on the way out, it may be worse after a dive, in which case I would call the whole thing.

Safe diving!

I gave mine up as soon as I went to the dark side. Like said above I can always use my reg and it is not worth the entanglement risk

I don't wear it at all when spring diving. In the ocean, I bring it but don't wear it unless needed.

-V

Working with students so much I'm usually required to have one on me. It does not necessarily have to be on my mask except for the surface skills that require it. I actually have a couple. A dry snorkel for snorkeling period. And a pocket one that fold up and stays in my bc pocket. The clip is a two piece one so one stays on the mask and the other on the snorkel. But if there are no students with us it never comes out of the pocket. I either swim on my back or use the reg.

I use on for boat dives due to possiblity of surface swim...Quarry dive, I leave it in my bag.

I don't wear mine and if you do a search, you will find many polls with lots of responses to this same question. In fact, I don't even own a snorkle any more. I took my buddy out for a snorkle before he took his OW lessons since he had never snorkled before, and I lost it on the way out of the water. I see no reason to replace it.

Tim

I have been wearing mine most of the time but seldom use it even with a longer surface swim.

Mine sits at the bottom of my dive bag. I've used it during surface intervals on boat dives to kill time but I never wear it while diving. I keep it in a pocket when working with students but I never actually use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom