Should I buy used gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveJockey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found what seems like a great deal on Craigslist.org. A USIA drysuit, reg set with alternate air source, analog gauges, argon tank w/computer and a Black diamond BC for $1000. From the pictures this all looks to be in really good condition. I have two primary concerns surrounding the purchase of used gear.

1. Is there some kind of certification from a dive shop that should be tagged to this gear showing that it has been inspected? I don't want to buy it unless I know it is in working order.

2. Is it stolen. Can I check any websites where people have reported their gear stolen? I would hate to buy some poor chaps stolen gear.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Everything is my sized and I really want my own gear.

Thanks in advance,
DiveJockey

I don't know of any tags that diveshops put on serviced scuba gear. The owner may have paperwork/receipts for repairs/service performed on the gear.

Buying used gear is often a good way to go if you first know what your looking at and you are willing to spend the $ to have the gear serviced before you use it.

Having the gear serviced before you purchase it would be a good idea if you are willing to gamble the $

If not then you may want to purchase new.

DiveJockey:
I found what seems like a great deal on Craigslist.org. A USIA drysuit, reg set with alternate air source, analog gauges, argon tank w/computer and a Black diamond BC for $1000. From the pictures this all looks to be in really good condition. I have two primary concerns surrounding the purchase of used gear.

1. Is there some kind of certification from a dive shop that should be tagged to this gear showing that it has been inspected? I don't want to buy it unless I know it is in working order.

2. Is it stolen. Can I check any websites where people have reported their gear stolen? I would hate to buy some poor chaps stolen gear.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Everything is my sized and I really want my own gear.

Thanks in advance,
DiveJockey

You can check here...

http://stolenscubagear.com/

DiveJockey:

Thanks in advance,
DiveJockey

its the chance you take when you buy used-you get it inspected at a dive shop-expect to pay around $175..

Part of the deal is that you take some risk, you need to be comfortable with that.

Plan on having the regulator and inflator serviced and the rest of the BC inspected, Probably $100 give or take $25 depending on lots of stuff. Oh yea, the argon regulator deserves a peek and the cylinder may be due for a VIP, what is the hydro status? It's good for 5 years after the most recent date stamped in the cylinder. The $175 mentioned was probably a good number.

I assume you will inspect this stuff in person. Regarding dive gear, if it looks used it is used. By that I mean that most gear, even with moderate use and good care will look like new. If fabrics are chafed, faded and otherwise tired looking there is considerable wear on the stuff.

On the drysuit check the seals for condition and fit. If the guys wrists and neck are bigger than yours beware.

When I first got into diving I bought a used Dry suit regs and bcd for $1000. This was good enough for the first year then I upgraded with to another dry suit and better regs both used with no problems. Which I still use. The down side is you have no warrenty but you pay at least half of retail. Look around it seems that a lot of people buy new gear and then for reasons unknow quite diving. Have it checked out before you use it.

Seadiver5:
I don't know of any tags that diveshops put on serviced scuba gear. The owner may have paperwork/receipts for repairs/service performed on the gear.

One of the LDS's here puts a hose protector on the second stage hose with their name (surprise, surprise) and the month and year punched out so you'll know when a year is up. Never seen anything on a BC. Receipts would be a good thing to ask for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom