swim like a fish - I did not.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon-boi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hummmphh! I will be doing my OW course in about 1.5 weeks and I've been making sure my swimming was good enough by going to the local pool over the last few weeks or so...but last night has made me wonder....I swam like a complete numpty - just didn't 'feel right' at all. :shakehead

I am just out of having a throat/chest infection which meant I haven't been swimming for almost a fortnight. Perhaps i'm still recovering?

Any other newbies suffered from this irrational feeling of concern about the swim test?

I worried about, and practiced for, my underwater swim, but felt quite comfortable with the surface swim.

Have you asked your instructor what is required? My instructor specified 3 different strokes but I was also allowed to slide glide and just kick while on my back in order to complete the 250 yards.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine! :)

I swam the test on my back because I am NOT a good swimmer at all. Just remember "no time limit" and that eases the burden.

BTW, I still don't swim like a fish but I am a LOT more comfortable after diving a bunch of times.

You must able to Swim in any strokes....Not swim like fish
No worry

I swim like rock. I still managed to pass, Mostly side strocked and back strocked......and a lot of taking my time.

Heh- thanks for the replies! I'm glad i'm not alone in this. My wife has been telling me to stop stressing about it....hey ho. We'll see what happens a on 10th July!

Honestly, don't worry. On the swim tests I was with 3 other girls and they swam very slowly using a mixture of side stroke and breast stroke. There is no time limit. They just want to make sure you can keep moving over that distance. Practice swimming slowly on your back as well as this takes up less energy.

I have just completed my Ow and had some problems with weighting etc but do keep asking the questions on this forum. I learnt a lot from other people here. What part of Devon are you in and where are you doing the OW. I am based in Surrey but go to Devon quite a lot!

Babs

I am a weak swimmer too. I was so worried about passing the swim portion of the OW class. I managed, but barely.

GET THIS...last week I used the Universal Referral Letter to do my certification dives while on my cruise, and in Barbados, the divemaster made me do the swimming part again. YIKES....The book my instructor gave me to take along with the Universal Referral letter had a pre-printed list of things the referral instructors had to test me on in open water and sure enough, the surface swim was there! A good thing I didnt see that or I would not have enjoyed my cruise! Luckily, I managed to pass, but as there was no time limit, I just flipped over on my back and swam that way. Took me forever but I did it. And if I can do it, anyone can!

I was so very bad at my swim test (in the dark ages when they made you pass swimmy things before you got to register for class) that the instructors assigned a buddy to me who was also a big, strong lifeguard. I managed to complete the test, but it was slow and ugly. If you aren't afraid of the water (and why would you want to dive if you were?) and float reasonably well you'll be fine. Swimming and diving are two different things. Of course, it might not hurt to take swimming lessons if it bugs you not to look like Esther Williams during surface intervals. Just rember to breathe both in and out.

My opinion is different and it is that good divers must also be good swimmers. If you cannot swim well it is a weakness that must be eliminated. Don't stress if you can't swim well right now. Make it a goal to progress and to understand that any activity in an aquatic environment has swimming as an absolute requisite.

Alot of people on the internet will have you believe that since they can't swim its ok if you can't swim either. Well it is time to get off the internet and into a pool with someone who can teach you to swim for real. There is really no excuse for not being able to swim unless you have a valid medical reason. Lack of personal fitness is not a good reason.

I also think there should be a time limit and you should train this way.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom