How young is too young?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My Fiancé and I are taking the national geographic scuba lessons now. My 11 year old really wants to dive also. She is a great swimmer. Practically lives in our pool. Is it a good idea to get them diving so young? She is really responsible and picks up on things really quick. She learned to snow board in one day. By the end of the day was going down intermediate slopes. Since I am new at it also wasn’t sure if it was a good idea. We were thinking of giving it to her for her 12 birthday in October as a present. By then we would have at least 15 dives under us but still wasn’t sure if that’s too soon. Would appreciate other divers with Jr divers giving some feed back of thoughts or concerns.

Thanks
Stacy

Check out this thread for some information about a couple of the things you should consider.

Since you are so new to diving you are correct about having concerns about adding a young diver to your task load.
Ber :lilbunny:

i know that there are some physiological concerns with children being exposed to
pressure during their pre-teen years ... the evidence is not conclusive, from what
i understand, but it has caused the agencies to adopt minimum age and depth standards for children.

i believe PADI permits a Junior certification (between 11 and 14 years old) but
the child has to dive with a pro or certified parent or guardian to a max depth
of 40 feet.

at 14, they can be fully certified.

i would recommend limiting depth to 40 feet until 14 years old, minimum, to minimize
any risks.

also, since you yourself are a new diver, you may be task-overloading yourself
in order to supervise a young diver.

Here is a thread that discussed several different viewpoints on the topic, http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=71131

Posts 82 and 93 are worth reading.

Another thread as well: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126820

With only 15 dives though, you should question your own ability to look after, not just your kid, but yourself as well. What is your comfort level like and your bouyancy? If your kid needs help, even just a minor problem, and you are having a bad ascent... it could easily snowball...

Cheers,
Bill.

SparticleBrane:
If you ask me--THIS is too young.

Agreed, I can't believe he even considered allowing deco dives. :shakehead

SparticleBrane:
If you ask me--THIS is too young.

That is way too young.

Thank you for all of your post. I looked at some of the threads sent and there really is a large verity of view on this issue. I would never use her as my buddy. I would live with my fiancé and she would be a 3rd to our buddy group. I think 12 is too young to expect them to be a good buddy. A point was maid in one of the threads that if Mom got in trouble and Dad had too go help, how the child would handle it. I think it would scare her like you would expect but I think she would actually handle it fairly well. I did like the idea someone had of getting them into a kids group to try it out. Here in Sacramento we have the Seal team and that would be a good way for her to get a taste and see how she does. I know how bad she wants to do it but yet I also want to take in all the concerns to make sure se do the right thing.

Thanks for all the input and advice. I am still reading one of the threads.

Stacy

Based upon the beating that I took on this recent thread (here), I think I'll keep my mouth shut. I'm such a prude.

Here are some threads to read that will get you started:

Children & Scuba when to start? posted by Scuba Jerm
Kids Diving? No Way posted by Chiara
Kids in Diving posted by ghostdiver1957
Is there a safe dive for children? posted by Jarrett
Getting kids started in scuba posted by ktrjc
Help with my 11 yr old Jr OW cert posted by gasgirl
Minimum age requirements posted by Randall
Success teaching younger divers? posted by Wydoin
Kids diving; need some feedback posted by scubajane
Suggestions needed posted by Donnie
Parent / Child Buddy System posted by MVillanueva
What do I teach my son? posted by SterlingDiver
Diving effects on kids posted by texangal
Diving in threes posted by newdiver AZ
When did you start your children? posted by wch

Keep in mind the original posting date if you decide to reply to something though. The original poster may no longer be hanging around the board. Heck, for that matter some of those who responded may no longer be hanging around.

You have to pick the knowledge gems out of the banter in some of them. Happy reading!
Ber :lilbunny:

Divin'Hoosier:
Based upon the beating that I took on this recent thread (here), I think I'll keep my mouth shut. I'm such a prude.

Ow my, I just watched the video. I can't believe he would take a kid so young down. I agree with all of your concerns you listed. Maybe he has been working with him in a pool or something. I am shocked. He couldnt have been but maybe 5 or 6.

Stacy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom