a few more lessons and im certified...but should I continue diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newbie_diver

Registered
Reaction score
well,im currently taking OW with PADI,but after taking a long surf on the web...I tried looking for bargains...but the cheapest I can find was a 90 dollar regulator!!the BCDs are USD118 (yeah,thats about a good price) the fins are 80 USD.....if I do get certified....should I continue,or should I rent for every dive...no,its not about affording it or not,but....I also have another hobby that makes you pay 50 every time you want to enjoy it...NO,it aint prostitution...its video gaming,so,what do you think?or do any of you know any awesome dive equipment dive shops on the internet?

Try www.leisurepro.com or www.scubatoys.com who gives board members 10% discount. It took me a few years when i started to get all the gear I could afford. Did not make much $$$ at age 14...I would buy a good mask, snorkel and fins first and slowly buy the other gear when you can.

newbie diver,
Welcome to diving! Yes it's expensive, but in my opinion, so much more rewarding than Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Doom, Mech Warrior, etc.

Diving puts you in touch with the real world, life, the pulse of the planet, not some made up, digital escapism.

Not to say I don't enjoy the occasional couple of hours spent playing video games, but I sure get more out of watching what student divers get out of diving, my kids eyes when they see new creatures and my own enjoyment from seeing a 100 lb grouper, 5' barracuda, or 8' shark thats 2' away. There's a thrill no video game will ever provide.

As you know from taking your PADI course, you need to have mask, snorkel, fins, booties. These don't need to be break-the-bank, best-of-the-best, high expense items, but they are not the things you buy at Wal Mart either. (Don't buy the mask, snorkel, fins you find at Wal Mart, KMart, etc. They are not designed for the pressures, stresses of diving).

This may turn out to be long, but I'm trying to help. In the end you will have to decide. But you've already invested in the training, I think you should give it a year after that and then decide.

One thing that may hepl is if you fill in your profile so we know where you are, know more about you, what prompted you to take up diving, what your goals are. If we know where you live, someone here may be able to point you in a direction of a good, reputable source if the LDS (Local Dive Shop) is not willing to work with you on pricing.

Here we go, but remember these are only recommendations based on my experience, preferences. Take the advice you get from me and others, massage it, fit it to your own wants, needs and decide.

One point: Don't use the LDS as a "fitting room" then go buy online. The LDS is there to serve customers and they are trying to make a living. Put yourself in their position.

Mask - This need to fit your face. You should get properly fit at your LDS. Each persons face is different and your mask needs to properl seal. If you have tried a mask from a friend that fits, then you could buy online. Masks for scuba diving are designed to withstand the water pressure at depth and not have the lens pop out of the frame and attempt to become contacts.

Snorkel - Multiple options as to size, style, features. Do you want one that has valves that make it a "dry" breather? Standard "J" shape? Will you be using it for snorkeling also, in this case you may want a dry breather.

Fins - Choices galore. IF you are going to be diving warm waters only, then you can go with the "full foot" design where you won't wear booties. Generally designed for snorkeling, some of these are not designed for propelling you AND scuba gear through the water. They will cause you to use more energy and air, plus they may crack or break. If you go this route, make sure they are designed for scuba also.

Open-heel fins require booties and tend to be a bit more expensive. But they are usually easier to get on and off, can be used for diving and snorkeling, warm or cold water. Probably the overwhelming choice for divers.

Then it comes down to style. Do you want traditional "blade" style or split? There are other options, but usually these are the two main choices.

Fins can be bought used, online, at the LDS. You can usually borrow some from the LDS to "try before you buy". Some LDS include the use of mask, snorkel, fins in their classes at least for the Confined Water (pool) training.

Booties - The neoprene boots of course. These need to fit snug but not tight, be of an appropriate thickness for the climate you'll be diving. Prices vary based on manufacturer, type of neoprene, sole construction, zippered or non.

This basic package of mask, snorkel, fins booties, can be had at an LDS for under $200. That should not be difficult to find if the LDS is reasonable. Most shops I know have basic packages for around $175. Buying as a package generally gets you a discount and you can sometimes even get a break on that. Some LDS will offer a discount if you're taking their course. Talk to them and see if they are willing to work with you.

Now the big ticket items.

Don't buy them yet. There are some things you can get from the internet, some things I strongly recommend buying from your LDS.

However, what I recommend to any new diver, I even recommended this when I was part owner of a dive shop, get experience first, equipment second. You need to ensure that diving is something that you will do enough to make the investment worthwhile.

You have already expressed concern as to whether or not you should continue due to cost. That tells me that you should only invest in the minimum required gear at this point. Remember, mask, snorkel, fins, booties can be used for snorkeling even if you decide never to dive again.

Additionally, at this point you don't even know that you will be able to dive, if you've not completed your open water dives. Some people run into issues with equalization, phobias that prevent them from diving.

Another factor is that you're not even aware of what all types of diving there are. Will you be purely recreational or want to get into technical diving? That has an impact on the type(s) of some of the gear.

Finish your OW training. Then if all is well and you want to continue diving, rent for a while. Talk with your LDS about your concerns of cost. Ask them if your rental fee or part of it can be applied towards the purchase price. Tell them you're not sure about gear configuration and would like to try a couple of different setups. Ask if you can use their pool to try gear in.

Keep in mind that some of the major factors that help make diving enjoyable are feeling safe, comfortable in the fit of your gear, confident in the quality, and satified that your paid what you wanted. You don't want to rush into or be pressured into a purchase that will lead to buyers remorse.

Your LDS should be willing to work with you to build a long term relationship. There needs to be mutual respect both ways in order for it to be successful.

Ask if they will be having any beginning or end of season sales. Usually dive shop periodically sell old (usually 1-3 years) equipment that has been in their student/rental programs. If you find something online that your LDS carries, ask if they can match the online price. Maybe they can't but maybe they can come close. It never hurts to ask.

Ask about package pricing. Discounts can be significant when equipment is priced in a package.

Given all this, the one piece of eqipment I most strongly recommend buying from your LDS is the regulator. This is life support above all the others and needs to be properly maintained. Some manufacturers will not honor the warranty if it not purchased through an authorized dealer. That can lead to more expensive service and reapir costs in the long run.

Above all, don't hesitate to ask questions, either here or the LDS. Scubaboard members are willing to help, provide input and be a sounding board. There is a phenominal amount of knowledge, experience and opinions here.

Hope this helps.

If you can't put the gaming on hold long enough to fund the largely one-time expense of diving perhaps you should reconsider you commitment to the sport for the sake of your safety as well as you buddies. To become a decent diver you will need to devote time to doing it with some frequency. The 1 hour dive can easily be a 6 hour event all told with packing, travel, set-up the dive, breaking down, traveling home. cleaning and stowing gear. You may also run out in between trips for air fills. It's not just a $$ commitment.

Then again if you can manage some moderation the prior post is a wealth of info.

Pete

spectrum:
If you can't put the gaming on hold long enough to fund the largely one-time expense of diving perhaps you should reconsider you commitment to the sport for the sake of your safety as well as you buddies. To become a decent diver you will need to devote time to doing it with some frequency. The 1 hour dive can easily be a 6 hour event all told with packing, travel, set-up the dive, breaking down, traveling home. cleaning and stowing gear. You may also run out in between trips for air fills. It's not just a $$ commitment.

Then again if you can manage some moderation the prior post is a wealth of info.

Pete

Thanks Spectrum.
It had to be said.

Personally I see gaming as an addiction. Its interfering with his diving and needs to be treated :wink:

LavaSurfer:
Thanks Spectrum.
It had to be said.

Personally I see gaming as an addiction. Its interfering with his diving and needs to be treated :wink:

Excellent points to both of you. Didn't want to blacken his/her eye too quickly. Guess I should have though. Diving is not something to be taken lightly. Thanks.

LavaSurfer:

Smart take treatment for one addiction by becoming addicted to something else. A novel idea. :eyebrow:

Let's stop everything and start from the top here.
1. Are you enjoying the class, do you think diving is something you really want to get into or just something you would like to learn how to do? When answering this question, disregard all thoughts about money, or the price of buying/renting. Is this something you really want to do?

2. So if you decide you really want to dive a lot, local diving or frequent travel...then you can get into buying equipment...SLOWLY....one thing at a time. jbichsel Has a very informative post here, and I would read it slowly, once or twice. He's right about the local dive shop, they should want to build a long term relationship with you. If it's a good dive shop, they won't even sell you the equipment until you A. Fully compete the open water traning and B. make a commitment...if you want to. Diving is a sport that's most defenitly not for everybody, some people do it once or twice a year others can rack up over 50 dives in a season.

3. When and if you decide to buy your own equipment, price should not be the first thing you consider. What kind of diving will you be doing? Deeper, colder demanding dives require higher preformance equipment...and if you make that a goal, you are better off renting for now, staying shallow and saving your money so when you get to that point, you'll have some money saved to use on a good reg instead of no money and a crappy regulator or bc thats not sutible for the kinds of dives you will be doing.

whatever you decide to do..good luck and enjoy yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom