breathing pattern and air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

remf3

Reaction score
I just recently certified this week in Catalina. I noticed that I seem to suck air a lot faster then my buddy(s). Does anyone have any advice on how to make my breathing a little more efficient. I am aware that I was breathing heavy the first few times due to nerves. Other times it was from the exertion of grabbing bugs and shoving them in my bag (oh and the time with the Moray eel and my hand, but that wasn't my fault...it was the stupid lobster!). I know that alot comes from experience (my dive buddies were typically instructors from my LDS), but it's something I need to work on. Any advice is appreciated.

remf3 once bubbled...
I know that alot comes from experience (my dive buddies were typically instructors from my LDS), but it's something I need to work on. Any advice is appreciated.
You already know the answer but still want advice...

So that either means you want us to confirm that there is no magic bullet.

or

You want a magic bullet.

Well... there is no magic bullet.

Just go out and dive a lot and forget about how much extra air you suck... that's what it is there for... suck it down as fast as you want and when it is gone go get some more.

And remember... the faster you use your air... the sooner you can get a re-fill and do the next dive!

Now I hope you realize the hyperbole in the above.... you do need to pay attention to your SPG and don't run it down past the redline. Better air consumption will come from more relaxed diving... more relaxed diving will come from more diving.

well there is no perfect reply , one thing for sure though generaly the more you dive and get more comfortable the more your air consumction will go down along with being in shape so just keep diving

i'm a novice diver, remf3, but maybe a bit of sharing of what i went though might help.

agree with both previous replies - no magic bullet, and dive, dive, dive.

one thing i remember is i did not notice when my air use got better. maybe because i stopped thinking about it and started more to get my diving skills right.

my OW instructor told me maybe i'm trying too hard to hit perfection - i can't stand at attention in a water column - doesn't work that way. so why bother.

because, while i was trying to 'nail it right', i was sucking air big time. so, i assume at some point in my short dive experience, i relaxed a bit and started to fix things one at a time.

anyways, hope this helps.

Dive, dive, dive is the best advice out there, I agree. However, it does take proper weighting, and skills work together with the diving. I have finally reached a level that I am equal to if not better than others in air consumption that I dive with. It did frustrate me and that seemed to increase my air consumption. Now I relax enjoy the dive and before I know it someone else says time to go up because their air has reached the ascent level decided upon or we have used our bottom time limit. It is great, but I don't stress over if I am the first one to meet the limit. Go diving and enjoy. Work on those skills that will help. Happy diving.

...a couple more suggestions for ya:

....the quality/condition of your regulator plays a role in air consumption....you'd be surprised extra energy you have to burn to compensate for a poor quality/poorly tuned regulator.

......streamlining is a factor......make sure you're not trailing a bunch of lose dive gear (loose octos/consoles/slates/lights)

........watch your speed......doubling your swimming speed leads to a FOUR fold increase in energy expended.

.......use a wetsuit.......if you're chilled you're body will consume a tremendous amount of energy staying warm......wear one even if your buddies don't...it will help even the odds.

..........emphasize 'quality' breathing.......a deep, relaxed rhythmic cycle uses less air than rapid shallow puffs.

........buy a bigger tank.......I use LP 120 cu. ft. steels......so you can use all you want and still not be the one who turns the dive.

........use efficient fins......DiverNet just did a big fin comparison test, ...you might want to read up on which fins have the best "MPG".

.......make sure you are not overweighted......overweighting is a common new diver error...less dead-weight to push through the water.......also excess weight makes the diver excessively inflate his BC to compensate......and an over-inflated BC acts like an underwater 'parachute' that's dragging behind you.

Karl

remf3 once bubbled...
I just recently certified this week in Catalina. I noticed that I seem to suck air a lot faster then my buddy(s). Does anyone have any advice on how to make my breathing a little more efficient. I am aware that I was breathing heavy the first few times due to nerves. Other times it was from the exertion of grabbing bugs and shoving them in my bag (oh and the time with the Moray eel and my hand, but that wasn't my fault...it was the stupid lobster!). I know that alot comes from experience (my dive buddies were typically instructors from my LDS), but it's something I need to work on. Any advice is appreciated.

Here are my suggestions:
1) Get in good shape
2) stay relaxed. Learn to move slow, enjoy the dive and to just plain relax when underwater.
3) If you ever feel a little winded, slow down and relax. If your buddy is moving to fast. Tell him/her to slow down so you can relax. Relax, relax, relax...
4) Dive a lot and you will learn better air consumption control. Even on my first few dives on a long trip, I notice I consume more air. Then as the I get more dives, I notice my air consumption improves greatly.

Most of all, relax and enjoy the diving! :)

Thanks,
Red Rover

I was always the diver to first hit 1000 for my first 20 dives and I posted a similar question a few months ago. (I am 6'4 220lbs so I need losts of air!) UP replied in a similar manner. Sure, the more dives you do, the better air consumption you get, but what really helped me out was my 23rd dive. On this dive, my entire goal was to focus on air consumption. What I did was drop down and look at my Cobra to see how many min's remaining of air I have. For my first couple of breathes, it was about 35 mins. Then I started to alter and breathe deeper and longer, slower etc. After about 2 mins, the cobra was up to 55 mins. What this did was give me immediate feedback as to what type of breathing was the most efficient.

On my next dive, the 55 min turned into 70 mins (I was only in 45 sfw) Now I have about 40 dives and I don't even think about breathing and I am never the one to turn the dive. Be patient, better air consumption will come!

I also use more air than anyone I've dived with.

I've been calculating and logging my SAC since I dived with Uncle Pug (about 10 dives now). There is a clear trend, and my SAC is improving, having seen this I've just stopped worrying about it.

I think one of the problems we face as new divers, is that breathing is not just about using air, but about buoyancy control, my feeling is that I'm so worried about controlling my breathing for buoyancy that I end up not breathing naturally which is why I end up using more air.

On a recent dive I made a conscious effort to slow down my breathing, and my SAC did improve. In the end it's probably just a matter of experience, buoyancy control eventually becoming natural and my breathing becoming more relaxed.

Just my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom