Difference between OW and AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbarkle

Registered
Reaction score
What is the difference between Open Water and Advanced Open Water? Does the Advanced allow you to do more than just Open Water?

How long does one wait before going from Open Water to Advanced Open water?

Due to scheduling conflicts I can not start classes until August. So while I am waiting I will be asking lots of questions, that way I don't look so overwhelmed when I do get to start classes.

dbarkle

About £250!!

Being a tad cynical after some of the recent posts on another thread. The advanced course (Padi) consists of making 5 dives - 2 of which are compulsory (deep - 30m, and navigation). The rest can be chosen by yourself from list of speciality dives offered (e.g. wreck, peak performance buoyancy, night, drysuit etc)

It gives you an introduction to some further diving skills but I recommend you check out http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1821 for some of the other members feelings and experiences.

Unfortunately, if you want to go on and gain more certs in the future, you have to complete this one :(

How long do you have to wait? The sad thing is you COULD complete your last OW dive in the morning and start your AOW the same afternoon!!

dbarkle,

while there are slight differences for each teaching agency (PADI, YMCA, etc.) as to what's included in each course, here are the main differences:

AOW is meant as an introduction to more advanced forms of diving/skills not taught in basic OW courses -- boat diving, night diving, deep diving, wreck diving, navigation, etc. Some agencies will let you go almost directly from OW to AOW. AOW does give you the "opportunity" to dive deeper dive sites -- i.e., some charter operators require an AOW certification if you want to dive certain deeper dive sites. Does this mean you are ready to dive these deeper sites -- not necessarily.

Advanced dive education is usually a good thing, but you have to have the right mindset and experience to take full advantage of the class. For some, taking the AOW right away is a good idea. For others who may need further refinement of their diving skills and who don't feel 100% comfortable in the water, taking a class that exposes you to riskier forms of diving is probably not a good idea.

This is a question you have to answer for yourself based on your own skills and comfort level as you progress through your OW class and get at least a few post-class dives under your belt.

Good luck.

I just got done reading that post. It was really good.

I don't want to get in this just for a certification. I want to learn all about diving and I want to be good at it. So I guess what I am asking is should I get my OW, get some dives under my belt and then go for the AOW Cert.

I would like to know how other people went about it.

Thats the way to go ahead - your OW course taught some fundamental skills that, believe it or not, you will come to use on a regular basis (in the past three weeks I have had a freeflow, had my mask kicked off my another diver's fin and had to remove my BCD to reattach a tank that had started to slip).

Have fun diving and learn to be comfortable with your skills and equipment before taking on a new challenge. Don't get me wrong, I have just done my AOW a few weeks ago and loved it - it has set me up for a whole new series of dives before my next cert.

Good Luck

Dbarkle,

I got my OW certification then waited for about a month and a half dozen non-instructional dives until I did my AOW. You shouldn't do AOW until you are sure you are comfortable underwater and you know your basic skills well. Once you can take off your mask and replace it with ease, switch to an alternate air source and have your bouyancy under control you are ready for AOW. For some people, this could be the day after they get the OW certification. Most take a bit longer. Beware of any shop that tries to package OW and AOW together though.

There's certainly no reason to rush it, but if you feel ready then it's your choice.

A lot of people I've seen seem to just see it as an 'qualification' and so pick the 'easier' elective dives rather than use it to pick their instructors brain about more detailed and useful elective dives.

However I disagree with the statement that 'you should be comfortable in the water before doing the AOW'.... as far as I'm concerned you should be a **** site more than comfortable before you're given your OW.

Thanks alot for all of you input. I think what I will do is get my OW in August. Since it seems late in the season, (is there a season in illinois), I will wait till next spring to get my AOW. That way I can get in as many dives as I can this year before taking my AOW.

This will also allow me to ask a lot more questions.

Thanks again,

dbarkle

I did my AOW straight after my OW. I have heard many say this is wrong but I disagree. What it meant for me was my first nine dives were all under the supervision of an instructor. A lot of the PADI specialities are utter b*ll*cks and perfectly within the capabilities of OW divers. There is little point in leaving it for ages between courses as the only thing you really learn is the deep part. Drysuit can be a useful adventure dive but all my OW dives were in a drysuit anyway. AOW is a very weak course iMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom