New Diver Needs Equipment Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I recently finished my o/w certification and am ready to buy some equipment. I sure would like some input from people on this board as my knowledge is very limited. So far I am contemplating the following: Seaquest Pro QD+ BC, Suunto Cobra computer, Atomic Z1 regulator with the z-2 octopus. These choices are based on reviews I read in magazines and what I was able to learn by reading posts on this board. My diving will be predominately tropical, at least initially, with some tecnical stuff perhaps down the road. I am very unclear about the differences between BC'S:i.e., jacket, rear inflated, and backplate and wings. I just assume that for a beginner diver a jacket style would be the best. Other bc's I looked into were the CressiS-111, seaquest balance, seaquest black diamond, and the zeagle ranger. If anyone thinks I might be better off with any of these or one that didn't mention please let me know. I'll appreciate greatly all of your input, thanks.

You have a lot of good choise's and I would try out a few of the BC. before buying. Any the back inflate one's are a bit more streamline. And the black diamond is a good BC I have one and I spearfish with it and it has a lot of place's to put thing. Could be used as tec. If wanted. Cobra is good but I like to have a SPG. So I use a vytec. With a SPG. Love that suunnto stuff. Jacket BC. are more drag. Hope this helps some

I bought a Seaquest Pro QD BCD right after I received my OW. It's not a horrible BCD by any means, but, I now dive with a halcyon bp/wing set up. I like it much better than jacket style in terms of stream-linning and maintaing proper trim. I wish I had not wasted more $ on the seaquest and just bought the halcyon in the first place. I would never dive with a BCD with quick releases again and I think it's too hard to get the perfect fit with a jacket style.

HTH

with a BP+Wing before you spend the money on a BC.

The reg you're considering is excellent. Nothing bad to say there.

The only thing to be aware of with the Cobra is that some people end up hating the computer on a console and want it on their wrist. Others are the other way around! This is a personal preference thing; to get the Vytec on your wrist with pressure though will cost you more than the Cobra - so there's a big trade-off.

I would buy the reg (check prices carefully, both online and in the shop, and make 'em earn your biz in the shop!) but before you buy that BC definitely find someone with a back inflate, a jacket, and a BP+wing you can dive before you decide.

As for the computer, if you're sure you want the computer on the console the Cobra is an excellent choice. Just make sure you know (or if you don't particularly care for it you either want the air integration or won't pay for the Vytec or similar) because you'll take somewhat of a bath putting it on eBAY if you change your mind.

Nikyyo....
Like you, I am new to diving and am curious as to how you made any choices at all. I am a little dense I guess but all these people are speaking in alphabets. The visibility is not good so to speak. I know I need a wet suit of some kind and a BC, whatever that is. and fins and mask. I'm sure now that proper training is necessary but the knowledge of the technical equiptment is mind boggling to an FNG like myself.
There again where do you shop for gear. It's like going to a car lot. You tell the salesman "I'm just learning to drive. What car do you reccommend?"
You know I think we'll get through it, but at what expense? And with how much wasted effort? ;-0

Most if not all of the equipment will be purchased through Leisure Pro. They are about 5 blocks from my apartment and seem to have excellent prices. About these b/p's and wings.......can someone PLEASE explain exacltly what kind of a B/C system they are and why they are so desireable? are they fine for basic tropical diving as well as tech? Are they not overkill? If that's the way to go go then that's what i'll do. Thanks.

nikyyo & luckydawg

You can dive recreationally with a jacket BC and have a lot of fun... but once you try a backplate and wing you will understand what all the fuss is about. Much less drag with a very solid and simple piece of gear. :D

IF you ever do want to get into technical diving (which implies doubles) you will definitely want to go the backplate route.

So the choice is yours and the advice to try stuff out is wise counsel. Unfortunately you might find it difficult to try out a backplate and wing unless you have a shop near that has them, or can get hooked up with a diver from Scuba Board in your area that uses a backplate/wing (known as a bp/w on this board :D)

www.extreme-exposure.com used to sell Halcyon bp/w set ups with a 30 day money back deal if you didn't like it... that might be an option as well.

As for computers... they will rot your brain... not to mention that folks who spend that much money on a computer when they really need to spend it on other stuff probably already are running a cerebral deficit. :wink:

I see it all the time... folks with crappy gear sporting an expensive computer... all you need to get started down the right road is a depth gauge and simple bottom timer.

Hey at least you have Leisure Pro for an LDS!!! No one can give you a hard time for shopping there :D

First: Its a minimalist system. It consists of a metal (usually) plate, either Aluminum or Stainless Steel, a 2" webbing harness that goes over both shoulders, around the chest, and has a crotch strap to secure the bottom. Once on it "just fits"; nothing moves or shifts during the dive.

The wing is just a bladder for gas, really. You can get them in different sizes and lift capacities. This is nice, in that if you move from recreational to technical diving, you change ONLY THE WING - the rest of the setup stays, so you don't buy the whole thing over.

Its also EXTREMELY rugged - you might hole the bladder, and need to replace the webbing for the harness (a whole $20 or so), but the plate will outlive you.

There is a guy here on the board (FredT) that makes custom plates more cheaply than you can get the Halcyon ones for. Or check eBAY. Tough to get "screwed" on that deal, again, since its just a hunk of metal... :)

There are two major manufacturers of wings to go with the plate for recreational diving - Dive-Rite and Halcyon. Both are price-controlled to one degree or another. Halcyon probably has the quality edge, but they're more expensive.

The third piece for recreational diving, unless you use Halcyon's system (and sometimes even if you do!) is called an "STA", or single-tank adapter. This is just a piece of metal with the cam-straps; it bolts to the wing and plate (with wing-nuts) and has the cam-straps you're used to to secure the tank.

A BP+Wing is my preferred buoyancy control device; I've dove a jacket, a back-inflate BC (I own a Scubapro Knighthawk - thought highly of in that arena) and the BP+Wing. After diving the latter, I can't imagine using the other two - its VASTLY more comfortable and far easier to get trimmed out properly (horizontally.) Not to mention cheaper than all but the lowest-end gear...

They work GREAT for tropical diving. During the summer months we have bath water around here (mid 80s), in the winter (like now) its in the upper 50s to 60s. I love mine in the summer - when I switched to it my trim and comfort in the water went up tremendously.

The other thing is that it doesn't trap water in it, which is a big deal when you are climbing up a boat ladder, and finally, it breaks down easily into its components (no tools, in seconds - literally) for packing purposes if you're going to travel.

There ARE, however, people who don't like the feel or fit - which is why I say find someone with one before buying it. You need to get it set up right or it will be ungainly and difficult to get on and off, or be "floppy" (if its too loose). Its not a big deal, but it does have to be done.

nikyyo once bubbled...
PLEASE explain exacltly what kind of a B/C system they are and why they are so desireable?
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/harness.shtml

Many other sources for backplates and the harness webbing is cheap and universally available as is the hardware... the only thing that is a must (IMO) is the Halcyon wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom