I failed the pool test!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwistedGray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
That sucked! Today we were scheduled to do ALL our pool work and do our final tests (written). It was myself and two other students.

We get there and the first thing the instructor says was "get in the water and do four laps, just fins and snorkel". So, he walks over to check the temp of the pool; we are in central California and it's an indoor pool with 3 walls and a roof. The weather here in is not good (typical but not good), raining for the last 2 days and projected to rain throughout the week with snow at abnormal elevations (low). The water temp was 53 degrees and the outside temp is around 45ish. At least that is what the sign said at the bank. The other two guys hop in the water and needless to say they say it is cold. One guy is about 6'3 and 205lbs and the other guy is about 6'0 and 180lbs. I am a whopping 5'5 and 120lbs. I get into the water and instantly start shaking (obviously).

A quick background: I have never snorkeled or dove in my entire life. The last time I went swimming was a few years ago (5-6ish).

Ok, I am in the water and trying to calm my body down so I can attempt to swim 4 laps. They are already done and begin their survival float. I start to swim and keep drinking pool water! I can't keep my head level and the snorkel out of the water; due in part to shaking and the inability to breathe well. Plus, once again...I have never snorkeled. So, we skip that after about 5-6 tries and my constant shivering. I figured out the concept with some coaching from the instructor: Keep your head up and chest up. However, due to the lack of practice and water temps I just couldn't get it down. After about 5-6 tries I didn't have the resolve to keep trying. That's when he said we'll just come back to that.

Get out and get geared up. I'll skip to the end of my training...about 1 hour into it (4 hour session) the instructor asks me if I am still cold. He mentioned he sees that I still am constantly shivering and also mentions that I will still have to swim the 4 laps and do the survival float at the end after we do all the exercises. I hop out of the water and decide to do it another time (when they get a heated pool...2-3 weeks). However, the skills I practiced in water went great. I cleared my mask really well and it was an easy task. Apparently that is a hard thing to do...? (for beginners)

Aced the final written test, but should be back in the water in a few weeks.

----

My observations: It seemed a bit overwhelming. It's like learning how to ride a bike with a 100 different buttons, knobs, and levers in a very limited amount of time...

----

Can't wait to get back...WHEN THE WATER IS WARM(er)!

sounds like it sucked... 53 degrees is no joke :coffee: Just glad you're not giving up.

53 F. Were you in a wetsuit or swimsuit? 53 F is nothing to play around with. Those temps require a 7mm suit for many, 5 mm for almost everyone else.

From someone who has not taken a lesson yet, it seems like your instructor really sucked.
I have spoken to some instructors in my area(North Florida). Any water that cold would automatically require a wet suit. They would also clarify your level of training and nurture you along.

If it were me I'd demand a refund and go elsewhere.

If your instructor was this cavalier about pool exercises one can only imagine what could go wrong in open water. Additionally, your safety in open water will probably be far better with someone you trust and have confidence in.

53 degree water! I wouldn't have gotten in. No wonder you couldn't do it, I'm sure you were hypothermic.

What certification agency are you going through? If it is PADI, you can do the swim and the tread in a wetsuit as long as you are wearing enough to be neutral buoyant. Talk to your instructor to let them know that you have never snorkeled. Hopefully they will take some time and show you how it's done if not, find someone that will.

My OW cert dives were done after a 2 hour boat trip across the open ocean in thailand in 4m swell.

53F is pretty cold but I would argue that you should be able to handle that water temp and be able to perform skills in that sort of temp. Sounds like 53F may be more or less normal for your part of the world. So if I am the instructor and I see you struggling in that kind of water, I would also fail you because I will not have complete confidence that if I cert you and you are out there diving in 53F water by yourself you will be able to perform adequately.

My OW cert dives were done after a 2 hour boat trip across the open ocean in thailand in 4m swell.

53F is pretty cold but I would argue that you should be able to handle that water temp and be able to perform skills in that sort of temp. Sounds like 53F may be more or less normal for your part of the world. So if I am the instructor and I see you struggling in that kind of water, I would also fail you because I will not have complete confidence that if I cert you and you are out there diving in 53F water by yourself you will be able to perform adequately.

That is totally wrong. Lots of people get certified to be vacation divers...requiring someone to do the skills in such cold temps is ridiculous...especially if they didn't have the right type of exposure protection.

I agree that is sounds like your instructor sucks and you should find someone else when you try again. Also, find an indoor pool.

I edited my own post before the mods did. I should not have commented on such a stupid post, and have punished myself.

If your instructor was this cavalier about pool exercises one can only imagine what could go wrong in open water. Additionally, your safety in open water will probably be far better with someone you trust and have confidence in.

Some things to ponder here.

Did you let your instructor know you'd never used a snorkel before? Some help here might have averted the mouthfuls of water while swimming.

I can't really understand having someone do the swim portion in water this cold without a wet suit. And I'm a cold water diver.

53F is pretty cold but I would argue that you should be able to handle that water temp and be able to perform skills in that sort of temp.

And hypothermia is something one should be able to "handle"?

Noted that you dive a drysuit in Melbourne....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom