I'm 13 years old and want to start scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmazonAquatics

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, everybody as the title says I'm a 13 year old girl and I want to get certified for scuba diving. I just got back from vacation to Cancun, Mexico yesterday and did a 1 hour lesson in a pool and loved it! The lesson was all of the basic skills like getting the water out of the mask underwater etc. and I got to swim around and stuff. Now, I am back home in Rhode Island and am interested in getting fully certified. Can anybody recommend any places that would be good for somebody my age to get certified for scuba diving in Rhode Island? From readings on various websites that I have read, I have decided that getting PADI certified seems like it is a better choice than getting NAUI certified, would you agree? The instructor in Cancun was PADI certified. I have read that on average it takes 4-8 weeks to get fully certified, is this correct? And if anybody has any links to readings that they think would be good for a beginner like myself to read that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I am glad you had a great time scuba diving, is is a wonderful adventure. There are many good agencies to learn to dive from. I would find a shop local to you, probably by an internet search or the phone book and talk to them. If there is more than one shop go to all of them. Talk to the instructors and get a feel for them. I would go with the instructor and shop you get the best feeling for, I wouldn't worry to much about what agency they are affiliated with. Just have fun with it.

Brent

hello,

I would recommend for someone your age going with a PADI Certification. NAUI is actually known as having a more demanding training regimen for instructors and dive masters but at this point that probably doesn't worry you. I don't believe you can become PADI OW certified until you are 16 years of age. I think at this point you can look at the PADI scuba diver or seal team type programs and then when you get a little older take your OW course.

The designation you get now will allow you to dive under the supervision of an instructor or adult.

you can and probably know you can get certified. The thing is to have some one that can take you more often than not. at your age study the diving itself and self teach your self, in the past age has held youngsters up, but you can know it good till your age qualifies you to take the class.

yes just google kids in diving and hte sites you want to see.

happy cert class to you, any problem just overcome it.

I started looking into getting open water certified(thats what OW stands for right?) and the website says that you have to be at least 10 years old. Thanks for all of the suggestions, in Rhode Island it is freezing weather, would it be better if I waited for warm weather to get certified or would it not matter? Thanks for all of the suggestions

I started looking into getting open water certified(thats what OW stands for right?) and the website says that you have to be at least 10 years old. Thanks for all of the suggestions, in Rhode Island it is freezing weather, would it be better if I waited for warm weather to get certified or would it not matter? Thanks for all of the suggestions

Maybe you should suggest a "Florida Vacation" than you could get your certification here while on vacation! :D

PADI offers a Junior Open Water course for kids. Of course your parents will have the final word. So talk with them and search for a PADI 5 star training facility in your area and go speak with them.

It does not matter for the training. You would do all your pool work and class room work now then when the weather warms up...you would do your final certification dives. Speak with the dive shop near you. Get a feeling for the shop and the instructor. Make sure your parents are around.

Have fun

do the pool and acedemics locally and if it is not warm by then do a little trip to the south for the open water. like I say find a close person (adult) to get certified so you can proceed in the diving world.

I was certified when I was 11 (officially got the card at 12) I never had any issues with the academic side of it. I'm pretty certain you can still obtain the Junior Open Water certification from PADI and possibly others, that allows you to dive with an adult. Are you going to be taking the class with a parent or someone else close to you? Having been through it myself, I would recommend that you do, that way you have someone readily available to go diving with. Like others have said just take it slow, have lots of fun in the course, and don't be afraid to go and talk to several intructors in your area, because not all instructors are good with teaching kids, but if you find one that is, you'll really enjoy the classes.

Good luck!!

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom