Why backward?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you are referring to the 'back roll entry', and it is usually the easiest way to exit a smaller boat with a low gunwale(sp?). The tank breaks the water, allowing you to slide in, roll over, hover and then glide down, especially if done with no air in bc (don't do this unless you know your weighting is spot on and your equipment is all ready to go). I much prefer it to a giant stride, possibly because back roll usually = 6 pack diving and giant stride usually = cattle boat dive, although there are many exceptions.

Try falling in forwards and you'll know. If conditions make standing entries difficult, sitting entries are the next option.

It's easiest to sit on the gunnels facing in, and rolling backwards is the easiest option from that position. In some situations you might prefer to rotate and swing your legs out over the water, then kinda slide in, but it's a lot of work and your tank might ding a wooden or fiberglass boat.

To keep from pushing the lenses of their masks through their eyeballs.

the K

Why do scuba divers always fall backwards out of a boat?

Out of a small boat, it's the easiest way. However, in large boats, these days, most people do what is known as the giant stride. Personally, I miss the back roll. To me, it's much easier to back roll, and then twist around than it is to walk around the deck.

There is such a thing as a forward roll entry but you have to be careful your tank doesn't slide up and whack the back of your head as you roll forward. It's much easier to sit on some boats and roll backward than to kneel or stand on them in a position that would allow a forward roll. All the forward roll entries I've seen involved the diver rolling over far enough to still hit the water tank first; in other words they do a front flip into the water. I saw two divers in doubles do a synchronized forward roll from the dock at the quarry one day and must admit the "cool factor" was WAY up there LOL! I mean, how often do you see divers in doubles doing front flips?

Please don't try that if you don't know what you're doing.
Ber :lilbunny:

I saw two divers in doubles do a synchronized forward roll from the dock at the quarry one day and must admit the "cool factor" was WAY up there LOL! I mean, how often do you see divers in doubles doing front flips?

Please don't try that if you don't know what you're doing.
Ber :lilbunny:
I've done it off a boat. Took me a bit to do it the first time, mind you.

Some boats its easier than trying to maneuver yourself around to do a back roll.

anoop:
Why do scuba divers always fall backwards out of a boat?

We don't. It's not even the most common entry. It is, however, the best entry when diving from a small, unstable boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom