Night diving without certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshinecat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just finished my open water certification and am going to the Florida Keys this month. I was looking into a dive shop that offers night dives that don't require the night diving certification. They told me that they provide a dive guide for the group and that it is fine for a new diver to participate. Is night diving risky enough that I shouldn't do it unless I have more experience and the night dive certification, or can I believe them when they say I can do it with the dive guide?

No certification is needed for night diving. It is a very common experience in resort areas. The sites chosen for night dives are almost always relatively shallow sites without a lot of complications. The person leading the dive will explain a few special skills you will need, primarily being how to handle your light(s) and how to give signals.

The value of night dives lies primarily in the fact that the critters that are usually hidden away by day are out cruising by night. This includes lobsters, crabs, octopus, squid, etc. Ironically, you also see the true colors of coral because you are looking at it by flashlight instead of natural light, which washes away color by color as you get deeper, until everything looks blue.

You'll be fine.

PS - I don't know a single soul who is a "certified" night diver.

... Is night diving risky enough that I shouldn't do it unless I have more experience and the night dive certification, or can I believe them when they say I can do it with the dive guide?

You'll be fine.

PS - I don't know a single soul who is a "certified" night diver.

Exactly, dive and have fun.

I did the night diver specialty. Bit of a waste of time. The real core of what you need to know for night diving you will get in your dive briefing. An open water cert is plenty sufficient to go night diving with.

Don't worry if you feel really nervous before jumping in - that is pretty normal - and all part of the fun.

You do not need a night diving certification but taught by the right instructor the course can be a lot of fun and can ease the transition.

IF you are comfortable diving in daylight then pay attention to the briefing and enjoy the treat.

Here are some tips that may be helpful. This small page contains much more than my AOW module did.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom