Crystal River Operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LSUGIRL

New
Reaction score
My husband and I are still fairly new divers and are looking for a good operators that caters to newbies for a trip to Crystal River, Florida to dive with the manatees. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Our LDS takes a trip down there every January and we have used Byrd's Underwater. They run a good trip. Our group usually has a broad range of experience levels and Byrd's takes good care of us.

Thank you! I will give them a call.

My husband and I are still fairly new divers and are looking for a good operators that caters to newbies for a trip to Crystal River, Florida to dive with the manatees. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Birds is the most popular in the area. However, while there is diving in crystal river, (there's the kings spring cavern etc) you will want to snorkel or stand to spend time with the manatees. They tend not to like the noise that scuba creates. Birds will get you all setup, they take you back to an area where there are plenty of manatees and put you in. Many times they go to an area that is just waist or chest deep, so you can stand quietly and let the manatees come visit you. (these are usually the best type of encounters.)

If you are in the area for more than 1/2 day or a day, i'd suggesting thinking about going out with them first. learning the edicate and location, and then maybe rent a kayak and head back to explore on your own. Then you set your own schedule and pace, and can maximize the time spent in the water.

It's truely one of the most magical things in the area. (forget the mouse!)

I've gone through Plantation Inn and Dive shop twice
and have found the hotel and dive shop to be excellent
and very convenient. Would recommend that you also
do Rainbow River drift dive.

Another vote for Byrds. We had a very memorable experience with them.

American Pro Diving goes out daily. Note you can not actually dive with the manatees as the bubbles scare them it will be a snorkel. American Pro Diving will take you to a dive site normally king spring following your manatee snorkle to do some diving. They also offer the Manatee Diver speciality course and do a video of your encounter.

Back
Top Bottom