Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qmcss

New
Reaction score
Finished our cert (wife and me) and bought almost everything. We did not buy a computer but intend to soon. Question for all is do you recommend a computer or is the wheel sufficient. I prefer the wheel and she prefers the computer.

Chris

I like the Suunto products the, cobra (air integrated) Vyper, stand alone, Vytex (wireless airintegrated) if you get the pc download kit it keeps a great divelog for me too. plus the misquito is pretty cool.

If you have a lot of money, sure get a computer. If you don't dive so often then a wheel is probably okay. But if you are gungho divers then invest in a computer. I agree that the Suunto computers are good.

You just dumped all this money on training and gear. Great, now go dive! You're in Guam right? There should be plenty of good diving in your backyard. Take the money you would have spent on a computer and spend it on diving. Unless computers are significantly cheaper over there, you'll get quite a few boat rides and tank fills for the same money.

Cornfed

Ps if you decide to get a computer, don't waste your money on the vytec.

I'm not familiar with the wheel, just the NAUI tables so bear with me on this one. The main difference I found was you get more bottom time with the computer since it takes into account every depth you were at. The tables give you less bottom time because they assume a "square" profile, eg. You went down to x feet, stayed for x minutes and surfaced. Most people don't dive like that, they work their way down to x feet then work their way back up, the computer automatically gives you credit for the offgassing you do as you go to shallower depths.

THIS CAN BE DONE WITH THE TABLES! Uncle Pug and others have posted about this skill, I don't have time to search right now but somewhere there is a nice explanation of the technique. Learn the technique and you won't need to spend the money on a computer :)

Just my .02
Ber :bunny:

Computers are nice, but not necessary. IF you want to dive a computer, you should first learn how it works and why it "gives" you more bottom time. Once you know that, you don't need it, all you need is a bottom timer and a depth gauge. Anyway...computers are a nice tool to follow and use, but you need to understand how they work, so when they crap out, you can continue to dive.

Welcome to the boards! I, myself, did a couiple dives after my certification dives, then got a computer (in other words, I didn't wait long). I have the Suunto Vytec and love it (everybody,in reference to an above post, has their opinions, so remember that). If you decide to do computers..... RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. Decide on what is necessary for your type of diving, hoseless or not, air integrated or not, etc, etc. There is lots to read over in the Computer Section of this board.

Hope this helps,
Tom

cornfed once bubbled...
Ps if you decide to get a computer, don't waste your money on the vytec.
Okay, let's hear your reasons as to why the Vytec is a waste of money. There's a lot of satisfied users on the board, myself included.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Okay, let's hear your reasons as to why the Vytec is a waste of money. There's a lot of satisfied users on the board, myself included.

It's $850. You can save $300 buy not getting the transmitter. My Vyper was only $295!

And what do you get for the extra money? Two extra nitrox mixes, oh boy! And air integration... which I've heard doesn't work so well if you switch mixes.

Someone mentioned this computer as an option to someone that just finished their OW certification. What is more important to new divers expensive toys (ie wireless air integrated computers) or going out and logging dives? Think how much diving they could do if they spent the money on tank fills instead of toys.

Cornfed

My advice would be to dive for a while using the wheel until using it is second nature. A lot of divers get a computer and then completely forget how to log their dives using their tables/wheels. I dive with two Suunto computers and still plan and log my dives using tables just for the practice when it's feasible. The previous replies are correct in that a computer will give you significantly more bottom time and more flexibility than using the tables so it isn't always feasible to use the tables in addition to a computer since you would be violating the NDLs on the table but still safe on the computer.

The next step after you're really comfortable with your wheel is to borrow or rent several models of computers. I personally prefer Suunto computers but you might like some of the bells and whistles on another brand better.

One thing to keep in mind is that the more conservative diver always dictates the profile so if you're using the wheel and your wife is using her computer then you're both effectively having your dive profile mandated by your wheel. Also if you're both using computers from different manufacturers, then whichever computer happens to be more conservative during a dive is the one that will dictate the profile.

Generally, all current computers from any one manufacturer will use the same model but different manufacturers can have widely varying models. For that reason you probably want to have the same brand of computer as your wife even if you don't use exactly the same model.

By the way...I like the Vytec but I'm a poor boy so I dive with a Cobra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom