Is this normal for a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I just bought a bunch of used scuba equipment off of someone. The regulator is by Oceanic and worked well when I tested it initially. Then I took it on a dive and it worked great but every once in a while I would get a tiny bit of water in my mouth while under water and I would just blow it out. Is this something I should be very concerned about?

I would have any used scuba gear serviced before I used it. Take it to your LDS and see what they say about it. Another idea might be to try a new mouth piece but I would get it serviced even if you are able to figure out why it's leaking.

prolly mouthpiece but i would have it serviced/inspected, doesnt mean parts are bad but they will hook up a gauge to the 1st stage and check all the psi each port is putting off and inspect the 2nd stage which will give an idea of how worn it is (only ways water gets into 2nd stage is really through mouth peice or diaphram and the diaphrams are thin and would be prettymuch destroyed if they went bad

If it's only every once in a while, it is probably caused by something you are doing with your mouth that is letting it in. If it is doing it on every breath, then it is probably a problem with the diaphragm. In that case, it is easily checked and fixed.

I agree that a used regulator should be serviced. If it is serviced, any diaphragm problem will be taken care of.

Thanks guys! I did replace the mouth pieces so I may not have got it sealed well. I was planning on having it serviced before my next dive but thought maybe I just needed to buy new regulator. When I bought the lot I was really after other things in the lot. The regulator was a bonus.

if its a thread on cap for the back of the housing make sure its sealed well too (no cracks or crossed threads). I dont know how you cant seal a mouth peice well but i guess anything is possible i would check the way your mouth seals around it while in the water, my old regs mouth peice didnt fit my mouth well and i would occasionally get a little water in

I just bought a bunch of used scuba equipment off of someone. The regulator is by Oceanic and worked well when I tested it initially. Then I took it on a dive and it worked great but every once in a while I would get a tiny bit of water in my mouth while under water and I would just blow it out.
imwright1985:
...(only ways water gets into 2nd stage is really through mouth peice or diaphram and the diaphrams are thin and would be prettymuch destroyed if they went bad ... if its a thread on cap for the back of the housing make sure its sealed well too (no cracks or crossed threads).
Sounds like you have addressed the possibility of a mouthpiece issue. Given the fact that it is a very small amount and an intermittent problem, it is a little less likely to be some of the other logical causes that have been mentioned (diaphragm, loose/cracked housing), although those were my first thoughts as well. Should be easy to have investigated and corrected. Even if it is a cracked housing (I had that problem with an eBay reg once), it is inexpensive to replace.

Thanks guys! I did replace the mouth pieces so I may not have got it sealed well. I was planning on having it serviced before my next dive but thought maybe I just needed to buy new regulator. When I bought the lot I was really after other things in the lot. The regulator was a bonus.

Did you get the plastic tie wrap tight?

And some regulators just breathe wet. The Oceanic Omega II will often get a little water inside. I have always thought that this is a result of the location of the diaphragm relative to the mouthpiece. But I still prefer them...

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom