Where to dive geographically?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'll be meeting hubby "close" to Guyana (US Virgin Islands, Barbados, Bonaire, ect.)

We want to get Padi certified. What country/area is the best monetary (U.S. dollar) value while still being a great spot to dive? Looking to go in late August.

We don't like crowds or hoopla.

Thanks so much for any help! We obviuosly need to narrow it down some!

Hello,

Congratulations on deciding to get certified. I was able to find some information about exchange rates in the areas you mentioned. As of 7/19/2000, the exchange rate for the US Dollar to the Guyanese Dollar is 1 to 180.518, to the Netherlands Antilles Guilder - 1 to 1.7624, to the Barbados Dollar - 1 to 1.9912 and of course the US Virgin Islands uses the US Dollar.

You can find information about dive centers and resorts at http://www.scubadirectory.com

Just select the country name from the dropdown menu and click on submit.

I checked several places and couldn't find any information about diving in Guyana, but I did find lots of information about the US Virgin Islands, Barbados and the Netherlands Antilles. In fact, at scubadirectory.com, I found 79 entries for the US Virgin Islands alone.

Good luck finding the information you are looking for. If you have any questions, just ask.

Cheers,

Hi Wannabeadiver,
You have just described Bonaire to a tee, great & easy diving, great people, no crowds and a good dollar value. We just got back from there and had a blast (second year in a row and already talking about next year). I can highly recommend 2 operations in particular, Sand dollar Dive and Photo, ( http://www.sanddollardive.com/ )and Buddy Dive ( http://www.buddydive.com/ )both are PADI shops and are located next door to each other. Buddy Dive was rated 5th best dive operation in the world in 2000 by a leading scuba mag. The drive and dive package offered by Buddy is great and is all it is advertised to be. I must warn you however, if your first dive experience is Bonaire, you wil most likely be spoiled for life. I will be happy to answer questions if I can.

I'll be meeting hubby "close" to Guyana (US Virgin Islands, Barbados, Bonaire, ect.)

We want to get Padi certified. What country/area is the best monetary (U.S. dollar) value while still being a great spot to dive? Looking to go in late August.

I think the Phillipines would be a good choice. Diving is great and the US dollar value is good too. :)

Bonair is a great value for diving, mainly because there's so much shore diving available which reduces the cost wherever you dive. Comparing boat diving value only, the best value is in Cozumel, the Mexican Riviera (Playa del Carmen, Tulum, & points in between), & Honduras. All of these offer excellent value because of comparatively deflated exchange rates. Avoid the high cost islands, including the BVI, USVI, Caymans, and others with well developed non-diver tourism.
Generally they have high cost of living which reflects in the price of everything. Note, that I'm not talking about the diving itself, just the total cost vs. quality of diving.

I agree. BONAIRE!!!

Looking to go in late August.

Remember that from Aug to Oct you have:

* 78% of the tropical storm days
* 87% of the "minor" hurricane days
* 96% of the "major" hurricane days

Bonaire or Curacao are your best choices at that time of year. NO HURRICANES. And reasonable too.

I like Bonaire and it has already been said that diving there will spoil you on Caribbean diving. THAT is the truth. If it wasn't for the reefs, Bonaire would be a forgotten island except for communication towers and salt production. If you want something to do other than diving, go to Curacao.

Just a warning, if you are new to diving, shore dives may not be the way to go. While Bonaire is the most amazing place in the world, you should know how to navigate. If not, you could find it stressful when you surface and you don't knew where your entry point was.

I'm sure there are guides, but that jacks up the cost. But, Banaire is amazing

I'd choose Bonaire. Not sure about the best U.S. dollar value, but it's convenient to Guyana, and it is a dive haven.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom