Tipping for diving class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjnv

Reaction score
My kids will take complete the diving cert after eLearning at Grand Cayman. The cost is $399 each kids for two days. How much should I prepare to tip? I'd like to find out the baseline. Of course, I'd add more for good service.

Thank you so much!

Wow, I didn't tip at all. I bought my instructor a 12-pack though because he took extra time with my wife .

(that didn't sound quite right :) )

Maybe I messed up?

$4200.13...

Honestly, I tell my students to tip the DM, not me. HOWEVER, it is always great to get a tip from a student and heart warming. I've gotten anywhere from a $10-$120 tip. I guess it depends on how satisfied and how generous you are :wink:. In addition to money, I've had students buy my lunch or dinner.

EDIT:My answer assumes that the DM works on tips and the instructor gets paid per student...

I would ask the owner at your LDS. I wasn't sure either and asked and he said that it wasn't standard to tip the instructor unless you just really felt they did an extraordinary job. The instructors didn't expect to be tipped and wouldn't be offended if you didn't tip.

We had some unusual circumstances that led to some scary situations and, despite being very easy-going and reassuring him that we were very happy with him, I think he was just happy that he didn't get sued! (Not something I would do based on the situation but I could see where other people might look at it as an opportunity.)

I've never tipped nor have I seen it done, either as a student or as a DM in training. I do tip the divemaster/crew on a charter most times.

Right or wrong I've never tipped for class.
Like dive equipment it's required and I treat it as such.
I would note that I trained at the same LDS I purchase 90% of my gear so it's repeat business for him which I'm sure is more appreciated

Once on dive trips, well I'm there to have fun and tipping directly reflects my level of satisfaction.

10%-15% is usually the norm. In your case it comes out to $40. to $60 per kid.
If there was any issues with the students,such as requiring extra attention /time then tip more accordingly..A instructor never expects a tip because people are too cheap to begin with, or do not realize it is a service based industry, but when received very it is very much appreciated.You tip the bartender who brings you drinks higher percentage than that,a instructor should be appreciated as much.

My kids will take complete the diving cert after eLearning at Grand Cayman. The cost is $399 each kids for two days. How much should I prepare to tip? I'd like to find out the baseline. Of course, I'd add more for good service.

Thank you so much!

Don't worry about adding more for good service, since that's simply not going to happen.

If they are really cramming all the confined water and open water dives into two days you're paying WAY too much already - and getting way too little - at $399 for the class.

:shakehead:

Not the instructor's fault individually, probably, but any dive op that that is gauging students that much can afford to throw the instructor an extra few dollars - no need for you to go deeper into your pocket.

none, in my book--if they would have wanted more they would have charged you more....

The instructor usually does not get tips. But I have had students insist on buying me dinner or lunch which is always appreciated. I have also had them send me gift cards after the class was over and one couple did send cash. You should though tip the DM's if they are using any because unless they are instructors themselves they are most likely only getting tips and screwed over like indentured servants by the shops. And I agree with RJP's assesement of the situation as well. I'd never let my kids do a 2 day cert with no instructor interaction before hand. Or anyone else I cared about. Hell I wouldn't advise somebody I didn't give a crap about do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom