SSI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barralax

Reaction score
I'm looking for the LDS I want to get certified from and I've run into one that uses SSI certification. Most others nave used PADI.
So I'm wondering if SSI is legit.

PLease advise.

SSI is as legit a agency as any other, for most it just comes down to what's available in the area. I wouldn't worry about the agency as much as finding the best quality instructor.

SSI is def a legit agency. One of my favorite dive shops is SSI (they use to be PADI). I hold cards from both agencies. There are several long time posters here who are SSI instructors. If they have a good instructor(s) and you like the people at the shop, use them to get certified. The quality of the instructor is much more important than the agency.

SSI has been around for over thirty years, and like PADI, is an RSTC agency...

The RSTC is the recreational scuba training council, which sets the standards for whats in a scuba class...

Most of the skills you would learn in both classes would be the same. SSI and PADI have a few differences in the skills you would learn...

They are a totally legit agency... internationally recognized.

I am an SSI instructor, and have been diving for ten years, all SSI certs for recreational stuff...

SSI is absolutely legit. Everyone knows SSI. Some feel that certain SSI programs are a bit "better" than the equivalent PADI programs. Most of my buddies are SSI certified, I'm SSI OW and AOW.

Many instructors are PADI as well as SSI and/or NAUI or YMCA. The training you recieve really boils down to how good your instructor is, not what agency is written on your C-card.

But to answer your question again, yes, SSI is definitely 'legit.'

http://www.ssiusa.com/

I just bought a couple of SSI speciality manuals. You only need four of these for "advanced diver'.

They appear to have been written for nine year olds (or by a nine year old?). They are repetitive and ultra-basic, spending pages explaining what had better be the completely obvious. The useful content could probably be condensed to four pages at the most.

There are multiple pictures of astonishing gear dangling and bouyancy control is listed in the chapter entitled 'advanced techniques'.......

Looks like a ...... smells like a...... must be a.......

Grajan once bubbled...
I just bought a couple of SSI speciality manuals. You only need four of these for "advanced diver'.

They appear to have been written for nine year olds (or by a nine year old?). They are repetitive and ultra-basic, spending pages explaining what had better be the completely obvious. The useful content could probably be condensed to four pages at the most.

There are multiple pictures of astonishing gear dangling and bouyancy control is listed in the chapter entitled 'advanced techniques'.......

As opposed to..... which OW agency?

Grajan,

Not to start anything but you must take four specialty courses and have 24 open water dives. I know 24 dives isn't a huge number but it's better then other agencys, that only make you take an advanced open water course. No dive mins.

Jessica

Grajan once bubbled...

[/QUOTE}

And you are serious! SSI is as good as any other agency for putting people in the water.

So, if I amy ask, who are you comparing SSI to in your post?

Pete

Some have suggested that SSI is an improvement on PADI. I was hoping this to be true.

My first experience (the speciality course books described above) suggests otherwise. They are no more than heavily padded minor skills that should have been part of the OW course in the first place.

Just another money machine.........

As for the 24 dives for advanced - words fail me.

Back
Top Bottom