Looking for a good quality/good price BCD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronanm98

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for my first BCD, any information on what is a good BCD, with reference to quality and the price being reasonable.

Any suggestions on One...!

Cheers Ronan.

ronanm98 once bubbled...
Hi,

Looking for my first BCD, any information on what is a good BCD, with reference to quality and the price being reasonable.

Any suggestions on One...!

Cheers Ronan.

Here's one you'll definitely hear: a bp/wing setup.

Basically it consists of a metal backplate to which you bolt a wing and maybe a single tank adapter. 2" nylon webbing threads through this backplate to create a harness to attach it to your body.

Here are some sites you can check out for info on this:

http://halcyon.net/mc/pioneer.shtml
http://www.oxycheq.com/Bouyancy.html
http://www.selchie.com/backplates.htm
http://www.gue.com/equipment/backplate.shtml
http://www.gue.com/equipment/jj-hogarth.shtml

They're very popular on this board, so simply browse through the BC section to find more info.

A setup of this type for singles can run anywhere from $400 to $555. This type of BC will last you forever... if you move to doubles you'll need to buy a new wing for $300 or less, but you can keep the same backplate and harness.

This system is clean, streamlined, and secure. If you use a heavy backplate and weighted STA, the vast majority of your weight will be spread evenly across your back instead of tugging at your waist.

I've got one on in this picture. See the BC? The guy in this picture has the same thing on. Neat, eh?

Contatc these folks. They are having a special on Dive Rite back plates, harness & wing or Transpac and wing $329. They are (I think) the largest single dive rite dealer and they do mail order business. That's a very good price, I think. They're very professional folks, too. You'll like dealing with them.

www.northeastscubasupply.com

Check out the monthly specials link.

I own an Aqualung Maverick, and it is really awesome. It too is my first BC and for the diving I do it is perfect for me and suits me very well, plus it won't break your bank account as alot of the fancy BC's will. The Maverick is definitly quality and I haven't had one problem with it yet. I would def. recommend this BC.

Go with a Halcyon BP/Wing setup.

Opinions help, but in the end it will be the
BCD that is the one that you like the most.

Its not gonna be easy.

Couple of suggestions.
do a search here. Jacket bcd ... then... back inflated bcd

then go to the Manufacturers web site.
Look at the different styles.

next go to your LDS and see what they sell.
While your there ask the person behind the counter
what he/she dives with.

Just when you think you've made up your mind ....
BAM ...

You'll see another one that catches you eye.

By that time you should be getting a feel for what you want
and the choices should narrow down.

Good Luck.

BTW It wasn't easy for me either
:)

pjdc1 once bubbled...
Opinions help, but in the end it will be the
BCD that is the one that you like the most.

Its not gonna be easy.

Couple of suggestions.
do a search here. Jacket bcd ... then... back inflated bcd

then go to the Manufacturers web site.
Look at the different styles.

next go to your LDS and see what they sell.
While your there ask the person behind the counter
what he/she dives with.

Just when you think you've made up your mind ....
BAM ...

You'll see another one that catches you eye.

By that time you should be getting a feel for what you want
and the choices should narrow down.

Good Luck.

BTW It wasn't easy for me either
:)

You can skip all this trash and make it easier on yourself.

Buy the Halcyon Pioneer or Oxycheq bp/wing setup and you'll be very happy you did. :)

First thing to do is check the lds for the brands that they sell as getting it mail-order is simply not the way to go. Too many problems with regard to fit, accessories included and the like.

Next thing to do is to determine the type of diving you do or plan to do and then limit your choices further.

It is after this that you check out your other sources of information ie. internet forums, manufacturers websites, Independent testing done on BCD's in magazines, friends, etc.

Of course once you have made the choice ( i'm assuming that the choice is within your budget ) know that there is no substitute for a good fit.

You'd be wise to go to a shop and try on BCDs. Sizes between different manufacturers vary MASSIVELY (example i was a small in one and a large on another).

Youve already had peope recommending backplate/wing setups.

Personally i prefer a BC and thats what most people learn on. You can get a decent BC for £150 - £300 ($210 - $400 approx).

What does it want depends on you really.

Pockets are handy although on a lot of models these are practically unusable underwater especially if wearing a thick suit.

D-rings are pretty much essential to hang things off although try to avoid decorating yourself like a christmas tree.

You may want to consider if you're going to take it abroad or on trips with you getting a lighter one to cut down on weight.

Build quality for most is decent enough so not to be a factor.

Rather than asking on here i feel you'd be better off going to a shop, seeing what theyve got and trying various ones on. See which you like best (be careful of sales hard talk though). Maybe try a few different dive shops if many nearby.

Better yet could be to rent some and see what they're like if thats an option.

String once bubbled...
You'd be wise to go to a shop and try on BCDs. Sizes between different manufacturers vary MASSIVELY (example i was a small in one and a large on another).

Youve already had peope recommending backplate/wing setups.

Personally i prefer a BC and thats what most people learn on. You can get a decent BC for £150 - £300 ($210 - $400 approx).

What does it want depends on you really.

Pockets are handy although on a lot of models these are practically unusable underwater especially if wearing a thick suit.

D-rings are pretty much essential to hang things off although try to avoid decorating yourself like a christmas tree.

You may want to consider if you're going to take it abroad or on trips with you getting a lighter one to cut down on weight.

Build quality for most is decent enough so not to be a factor.

Rather than asking on here i feel you'd be better off going to a shop, seeing what theyve got and trying various ones on. See which you like best (be careful of sales hard talk though). Maybe try a few different dive shops if many nearby.

Better yet could be to rent some and see what they're like if thats an option.

Buy a bp with wings and you don't need to worry about sizing - one size literally fits all.

You also don't need to worry about accessories - there really are none, and that's half the point.

It's really easy, and I sure wish someone told me that (or at least I wish I had listened) the first time around. :)

Back
Top Bottom