Confused on what gear to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antagonist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am new to diving and I am unsure about what brand or gear to purchase. I am living in Okinawa, Japan and it is mostly warm here. I want to purchase a new BCD and Regs. I recently purchased a TUSA IQ700 computer. I have been reading the reviews on a lot of brands and their products. I want to buy a reg that can use Nitrox also, because we have free courses on my base here. I have been looking at Mares and Cressi. I need help.

I am new to diving and I am unsure about what brand or gear to purchase. I am living in Okinawa, Japan and it is mostly warm here. I want to purchase a new BCD and Regs. I recently purchased a TUSA IQ700 computer. I have been reading the reviews on a lot of brands and their products. I want to buy a reg that can use Nitrox also, because we have free courses on my base here. I have been looking at Mares and Cressi. I need help.

I have a Mares Abyss and I am happy with it. It works well and it does not has much that can break. Mares Service here in Thailand is terrible but maybe better in Japan. I think these days all brand name regulator can use Nitrox and all are good. So I think there won't be much difference in warm water.

I have a Mares Abyss and I am happy with it. It works well and it does not has much that can break. Mares Service here in Thailand is terrible but maybe better in Japan. I think these days all brand name regulator can use Nitrox and all are good. So I think there won't be much difference in warm water.

Is it better t purchase a package deal or buy things piece by piece?

Is it better t purchase a package deal or buy things piece by piece?
Take a look at the package and then look at what the components cost separately at LeisurePro or ScubaToys. I don't think anybody needs "beginner gear." Look for quality gear with a minimum of bells and whistles, don't buy an expensive computer, and don't buy a cheap regulator and you should be okay. Any regulator you buy will be suitable for recreational (<40%) nitrox.

There should be a lot of similar threads on this subject:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...-diver-looking-gear-packages.html#post5276264

If I were you I'd certainly be looking at Scubapro equipment as one possible option. They have an excellent reputation, especially with their regs, and I would think you could get service pretty much worldwide.

Greetings Antagonist and I would be very deliberate and patient in my purchase.
I personally would find a local dive shop that had stellar service and great reputation.
Then I would inquire about rentals and try to dive the different rigs available till I found one I really liked and fit the diving I wished to do.
I would consider where you will obtain service for your gear very carefully for it might be easier for some brands than others.
I have an mix of gear and researched it all well so it is hard for me to give brand advice but it is hard to out service the large producers.
The exception to the rule is HOG gear I have been watching them and they seen to be doing quite well.
Just some thoughts on those.

Good luck and whatever you settle upon be sure to dive every chance you get!

CamG keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Visit local dive shops and find what they sell and service. Check pricing. Talk to the folks and see if you mesh with them. We have 3 or 4 dive shops even here in landlocked Central Ohio. 1 of the places I just dont like. It just seems to uppity to me. The 2nd is an ok place, and will consider purchases from them in the future on some stuff, but their pricing isnt the best. It's not horrible by any stretch, but again, just dont click with them. The last 2 one has been around for a number of years and one is the dive shop at one of the quarries. Both of them I just feel more comfortable with. The one is the dive shop I got certified by and bought the majority of my gear from. The quarry shop has also taken some of my cash. Both of them are aggressive on pricing and are very fair on pricing. Many times beating online prices. Sure they tend to work with you more if you are buying more from them, but even if I didnt the pricing was very good.

I've bought a total of 2 things via the internet diving related. One was a cable for a dive computer, and one was a mold for weights. Other then that, every piece of equipment I have came from those 2 places.

edit: RE: renting. That's a good idea, but try to narrow your choices down fairly quickly. Many people suggest renting and that's a great idea, but if you are going to continue to dive outside of vacations, then renting will get expensive fast IMO. You can easily run up rental fees that would get you to 1/2 of new equipment. Sure you want to make sure you buy the best fit for your diving so you dont waste money the other way also.

Greetings Antagonist and I would be very deliberate and patient in my purchase.
I personally would find a local dive shop that had stellar service and great reputation.
Then I would inquire about rentals and try to dive the different rigs available till I found one I really liked and fit the diving I wished to do.
I would consider where you will obtain service for your gear very carefully for it might be easier for some brands than others.
I have an mix of gear and researched it all well so it is hard for me to give brand advice but it is hard to out service the large producers.
The exception to the rule is HOG gear I have been watching them and they seen to be doing quite well.
Just some thoughts on those.

Good luck and whatever you settle upon be sure to dive every chance you get!

CamG keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

I have been going around looking at a few other dive shops, but never really considered where I can obtain the best service. We have a dive shop here on base and they mostly sale scubapro gear. When it comes to selecting a BC I should select it based mostly on comfort. Does anyone know anything about Scubapro Knighthawk? My girlfriend and I plan on diving a lot so we are thinking it we rent gear we will eventually buy new gear even at $23 dollars a day for everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom