SSI Indoor diver certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Really? I'm amazed that PADI didn't think of this first...lol. I realize that the intent of this is to give people more time working in confined water and getting more comfortable with the equipment and being underwater in general, it just seems funny to me. I also love that the website says in large letters at the top of the page "THE INDOOR DIVER CERTIFICATION - UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES!" Unlimited possibilities.....as long as you're in a pool... :D Ok, I'm done. SSI is a good cert program, this particular certification just struck me as being hilarious.

Kristopher

Wouldn't this be akin to the "aquarium cert" that you can get with some PADI shops? Is that even a real cert from PADI? I have seen a few shops that say you can get an "Aquarium Specialty" or something like that.

The course from PADI is called "Open Water Diver - Controlled Environment". It was unveiled in the Fourth Quarter of 2008.

Max
PADI/DSAT 198186

Wouldn't this be akin to the "aquarium cert" that you can get with some PADI shops? Is that even a real cert from PADI? I have seen a few shops that say you can get an "Aquarium Specialty" or something like that.

The two are probably closely related. Another cert card to add to a list. I'm thinking that they would both be fun to get, if nothing else, just to hand to a shop owner in a foreign country to see the look you get. I think Bonne Terre mine offers a "mine diver cert" from SSI, which i actually think would be super cool to get. I'm thinking it's time to start an "unusual certifications" thread.

Kristopher

What next..........."Armchair Diver" issued after watching 12 episodes of Sea Hunter?

And you have to have read "The Cave Divers" by Robert Burgess and "Deep Descent" by Kevin McMurray to get the Tri-mix specialty. :D:D

I do want to point out that this thread is mostly in fun. I just think the different specialized certs are funny, and do realize that *most* of them do have something of value to add.

Kristopher

At least with the Aquarium Cert you have the added risk of becoming shark bait :D

What next..........."Armchair Diver" issued after watching 12 episodes of Sea Hunter?
12 Episodes of Sea Hunter or 100 posts on Scubaboard.

And you have to have read "The Cave Divers" by Robert Burgess and "Deep Descent" by Kevin McMurray to get the Tri-mix specialty. :D:D

Kristopher

Why not an Incident Analyst endorsement to Armchair Diver, awarded for a demonstrated ability to read nothing more than a posted rumor on Accidents and Incidents that something might have happened yesterday at an approximate location and instantly determine:

1. The exact mechanism of the accident and cause of death. (Any applicant who actually knows what happened will be disqualified. That's cheating.)
  2. That mechanism's basis in Newtonian physics, geometry, physiology, quantum mechanics, phase of the moon, and victim's wife's monthly cycle. (Any applicant who actually knows anything about Newtonian physics, geometry, physiology, quantum mechanics, phase of the moon, or victim's wife's monthly cycle is disqualified.)
  3. The precise shares of responsibility to be apportioned among the victim, buddy, dive master, captain, dive operator, victim's original OW instructor, certifying authority, individuals who may at one time in the past described or suggested doing whatever the victim was doing in (1) above, and victim's parents who raised him wrong. (Regardless of which authority actually certified the victim, any Incident Analyst who fails to include PADI in the list of those to blame will have the endorsement revoked.)
  4. A list of procedures personally followed by the Analyst guaranteeing that they would certainly have saved the life of the victim, had the victim but followed them. (Any analyst who is found to actually follow those procedures is disqualified.)

We could start handing them out immediately.

Why not an Incident Analyst endorsement to Armchair Diver, awarded for a demonstrated ability to read nothing more than a posted rumor on Accidents and Incidents that something might have happened yesterday at an approximate location and instantly determine:

1. The exact mechanism of the accident and cause of death. (Any applicant who actually knows what happened will be disqualified. That's cheating.)
  2. That mechanism's basis in Newtonian physics, geometry, physiology, quantum mechanics, phase of the moon, and victim's wife's monthly cycle. (Any applicant who actually knows anything about Newtonian physics, geometry, physiology, quantum mechanics, phase of the moon, or victim's wife's monthly cycle is disqualified.)
  3. The precise shares of responsibility to be apportioned among the victim, buddy, dive master, captain, dive operator, victim's original OW instructor, certifying authority, individuals who may at one time in the past described or suggested doing whatever the victim was doing in (1) above, and victim's parents who raised him wrong. (Regardless of which authority actually certified the victim, any Incident Analyst who fails to include PADI in the list of those to blame will have the endorsement revoked.)
  4. A list of procedures personally followed by the Analyst guaranteeing that they would certainly have saved the life of the victim, had the victim but followed them. (Any analyst who is found to actually follow those procedures is disqualified.)

We could start handing them out immediately.

We should also have a gold or silver level to this certification, based upon how many times you can decry the horrible training that is given these days by PADI, NAUI, etc.

Two gold stars will be added to the cert card for each time you attempt to make someone who asks a simple question feel like a reall a$$hole. :D

Kristopher

Back
Top Bottom