What if...? Lost Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The following post is one of a series of threads resulting from a collaboration between [user]Bubbletrubble[/user] and myself.
We have divided the What if...? idea into a series of topics and posted the main thread as a sticky here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...514-what-if-what-do-when-things-go-wrong.html

Please Read The Following Bullet Points Carefully!
  • Our intent for this discussion is to get newer divers thinking, not spoon feed them the answers.
  • We're going to ask that the more experienced divers don't just jump in with responses to every scenario.
  • Instead, we want this to be a two part exercise for newer divers by doing the following:
    • Quote a given scenario and
    • (1) discuss what they would do given the situation
    • (2) talk about how to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.
  • Then the more experienced divers can give follow up comments on insights on those answers.
Anyone is encouraged to a post new scenario for discussion, but please follow the instructions above when answering and keep it relevant to the topic.

Lost Buddies
* What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?
* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 3 divers and one buddy went left while the other went right?
* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 5 divers and, all of a sudden, you only counted 3 other divers in your field of view?
* What would you do if you're diving in two buddy pairs and you lost sight of the other buddy pair?
* What would you do if you got a leg cramp but your buddy didn't notice and left you behind?

Last edited:
What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?

Think back to our pre-dive discussion as to what we determined we would do if this were to happen. If we did not discuss this possibility or for some reason I could not recall it, I would check on my amount of remaining air. Assuming I had sufficient air, I would spend a few minutes turning 360 degrees looking straight ahead, above and below my current location to see if I could spot my buddy. If I was unsuccessful in spotting my buddy I would surface.

What could be done to prevent this:
In pre dive discussion, determine which role each person will have - leader or follower and the expectations of each. For example, how close a distance/gap; how often one should check that the other is "still there". Establish what each person is expected to do if we were to lose sight of one another.

Carry some type of underwater noise-making signalling device. (Realizing that simply carrying it wouldn't prevent it - but using it could possibly get the attention of a buddy who wasn't as close as they probably should be.)

Cheryl

(Before hitting post - I began to second guess :confused: my answer about spending a few minutes looking for buddy - thinking that perhaps I should simply surface (safely) as I would have no back up if something were to go wrong. Looking forward to seeing what experienced divers' advice is...)

@clpkab: How specific are you when you discuss "lost buddy protocol" with your buddy during pre-dive planning?

By the way, I really like the fact that you talked about how close buddies should be diving and how often each should be checking up on the other.

My only dives to this point have been part of instruction - I recently (February) completed PADI "Scuba Diver" certification. (I hope to upgrade/finish OW in April or May).

Your questions reminded me of the importance of the pre-dive discussion.

* What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?

Look for him/her for one minute and then surface. We should meet again up there if he/she does the same thing.

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 3 divers and one buddy went left while the other went right?

Pick the one I love the most :D

Try to catch up to one of them and get their attention, and point to where the other one went. We should both then try to find the other one. If we can't after a minute or two, then both of us should surface and hopefully the lost one will also show up after a minute.

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 5 divers and, all of a sudden, you only counted 3 other divers in your field of view?

Well, maybe the one furthest from me can see the other one. I'd try to figure out how to get everyone elses attention and point out that there's one missing. Nobody should be so far away that I can't swim over to them in a few kicks anyway.

* What would you do if you're diving in two buddy pairs and you lost sight of the other buddy pair?

Well, that would depend on what we'd discussed before the dive. Either we could surface, or just continue the dive since nobody is alone. That might depend also on the experience of each team.

* What would you do if you got a leg cramp but your buddy didn't notice and left you behind?

Get the cramp out and then surface if I couldn't see my buddy any more. He/she should do the same if following the proper procedure.

OK, am I done answering questions now? Hopefully someone else will come along to join these threads. I'm trying to be a good little student here :wink:

The following post is one of a serious of threads resulting from a collaboration between [user]Bubbletrubble[/user] and myself.
We have dived the What if...? idea into a series of topics and posted the main thread as a sticky here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...514-what-if-what-do-when-things-go-wrong.html

We use the look around for 5 mins. then surface rule.
I've had this happen. I stayed put and watched them both. Luckily it was in the Bahamas and vis was practically unlimited. But it made my dive no fun!
Hmmm. I guess get the problem across to the two remaining and then follow the 5 min search then surface rule?
Nothing.

Work it out then try to catch up but stick with the 5 minute then surface rule.
Note my answers are inside the quote due to my lack of computer skills!

Looking forward to the more experienced divers input.

>What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?

I always review with my buddies (usually my wife, but sometimes new ones) pre-dive that if we become separated, search for one minute then ascend to the surface to reunite. That said, we shouldn't become separated because we need to be aware of where they are at all times. This was challenging for my wife and I at first because we often dive in SoCal where the visibility is often not very good and it's easy to get separated. We've worked on techniques and awareness skills, and when the viz isn't great, I often bring along an underwater light so I'm easier to see (she doesn't like carrying one).

@clpkab: How specific are you when you discuss "lost buddy protocol" with your buddy during pre-dive planning?

By the way, I really like the fact that you talked about how close buddies should be diving and how often each should be checking up on the other.

"Closeness" to my buddy has special place in my memory bank from OW dive number 2.

No, I didn't get too far away from my instructor or buddy, I was actually "too close" on two occasions. Took a slight kick to the head - not enough to dislodge mask (but at least I'd already practiced replacing and full-mask clearing so I knew what to do:D). In the other instance, my buddy avoided contact with me but wound up hitting an urchin.:(

When I did SNUBA in September (as pre-test of myself to see if I could handle breathing and equalizing aspects) we were advised to stay "on our side of the raft" so as not to tangle the hoses. It made me remain aware of where my raft buddy was and not just get caught up looking at the amazing fish.

In addition to leader/follower role, I would think it would be helpful to pick a side - tell your buddy I'll be to your right or left.

If plans were not discussed begin "recommended lost buddy procedure" return to known area, search for one minute, ascend a few feet, look for one minute, fully ascend, keeping an eye out.
Catch up with one of them, alert him to the situation, if other buddy is lost begin planned lost buddy procedure or "recommended lost buddy procedure"
Begin "recommended lost buddy procedure"
I am unfamiliar with the buddy pair I'm assuming the pair is not as close or dependent of each other otherwise they would just be a group right? If necessary begin "recommended lost buddy procedure"
Try to catch up, if unable to begin "recommended lost buddy procedure"

Prevention on all of these is more or less the same. Establish roles and lost buddy procedure pre-dive, keep an eye on your buddy, follow procedure mentioned earlier if separation occurs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom