Pro's and Con's Of Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pro: I don't have to worry about all those investments in wall street going down the tubes again cause I already spent it on gear
Con: Like sex, you spend a lot more time thinking about it, preparing for it and cleaning up afterwards than you actually do it.

There's no "cons" aside from spending ALL of your money ... but even then, we really like new toys, and our vacations become one fo the few reasons to even get out of bed anymore!

Pros: The wonderful people you meet. I've met some of the most amazing people while diving. It really opened up new avenues to some really great friendships.

Cons: $$. Lust, lust, lust - want. Need? Yeah - all of it. He who dies with the most toys.... It's a sucking chest wound of money loss. But since we've also discussed money, I'd say that if you're significant other's not into the sport, you're going to have to find a happy balance. For people who love to dive and only have the weekends to do it, that's a big chunk of "together" or family time.

Pros:

Relaxation – I never think about the mortgage or job while underwater.

Bonding – Made many great friends and am closer than ever with my buddy/spouse.

Stimulating – Opens doors to so many things you might be interested in (critters, wrecks, caves, history, photography, boating, ecology &#8230:wink:

Not expensive (although it can be) – Once you have a decent set of equipment, your major expense is likely to be travel.

Lifestyle – You're less likely to indulge in unhealthy things like booze, drugs, inactivity, or poor diet. When I get bored with my exercise routine (often), thinking about diving helps incentivize.

Cons

Equipment intensive – Hauling, cleaning and servicing can become a bit onerous.

PROS:
Excellent people to meet
You now have an extra 80% of the world you can explore
You can see things few other humans have ever seen
Experience weightlessness without having to go into space
Always have something new to learn
When diving is good, it is very very good

CONS:
Some right *-ers to meet as well
you now have an extra 80% of the world to explore, so long as you enjoy swimming around in the pitch black :D
you can see things no other human has seen, unless you are in a part of the ocean which is cold and dark in which case you can vaguely feel things no other human has vaguely felt before
Experience weightlessness without going into space, though for most its more of a bouncing motion
Always have something new to learn, though you may learn to late.
When diving is bad, it is very very bad

Pros: It's incredibly relaxing, focusing, satisfying, mesmerizing, awe-inspiring..............
Cons: You can't dive 24/7

Pro: It's fun

Con: Everything else when you're not diving (expense, limited opportunity, etc.)

Pros: Collecting shells. Live or dead. My honest opinion--no need to hijack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom