Slap Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnVranesevich

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings:

Ok, I am totally lost over something so simple that it's amazing.

I bought a slap strap for my mask from Amphibious Outfitters. It's cool, shows an eel and says "Dive Naked Things Look Bigger Under Water", ahah.

However, I can't figure out how in the hell to attach the thing to my mask! My previous slap strap was simply a pocket that the bands went into. This one has no pocket, just a piece of velcro at either end.

HELP! Hahaha....

Remove your old strap completely, noting how the straps are positioned within the buckles on the side of the mask.

Weave the new velcro straps through the buckles in the same fashion.

A couple of notes:

Cutting the corner off of each end so that the end of the strap is pointed can make getting it into the buckle easier.

The velcro straps are quite long... you might need to trim them so that they have at least 1.5" - 2" of space between them on the back of the head piece... otherwise it will lose all of its stretchy ability. (Make sure you still have an inch or two of velcro fastened, though.)

Greetings:

Ok, so I will no longer have my nice rubber straps, instead they will be replaced with the velcro ones on the slap strap?

hrm....

If by "rubber", you mean the (normally) clear silicon straps, then yes.

I've never hear of those as being "nice"... the reason many divers use a slap strap is to get away from the silicon strap that tends to pull and tangle the hair.

My slap strap (TM) weaves through the mask buckles in reverse fashion so that the velcro tails come back through the inside of the mask strap. Trimming them down is a good idea for sure.

Greetings:

Well, I'm lost. How on earth is having velcro on the sides of your head, acting as a strap, supposed to be comfortable? Also, how on earth are you supposed to get your mask on and off, since velcro doesn't stretch (and the actual band in the back doesn't have much of a stretch to it either) ?

The strap runs from the outside in around the mask buckle, and so the tail is inside against your head but the meat of the velcro is facing outside and forms the grip to the main strap. Make sense? Shoot me a pm if not I'll send a pic.

It doesn't need to stretch much, only form a comfortable seal. I was surprised it worked when I first tried it, but it's quite comfortable. I have mine on my pool/warm water mask for when I'm not wearing a hood.

I have one and find it much more comfortable. Doesn't grab hair and the neoprene part is just stretchy enough to put on and be comfy. Also find it easier to readjust if needed. I'd never go back to a standard strap.

Greetings:

Ok, thanks for everyone that chimed in with advice, etc. I ended up throwing that thing away since I didn't like the velcro straps, and buying one that's a "mask strap cover". Basically, it velcros OVER the existing mask strap. VERY nice, and I'm in a happy place with my mask now :)

awww you threw it away! I wanted it!!! Nice saying on that strap you got. all the ones I always see are plain but available in colors, no writting or design. I like the dive naked saying hahaha :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom