Old Diver - New Dentures!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am strictly a snorkeler (at my age and physical condition) and recently gave up all of my God given upper teeth for a full denture. I've tried 5 different mouthpieces with and without the dentures - All Results unsatisfactory.

With Denture, have to bite down too hard - it hurts my gums!
Without, just can't seal properly.

Any advice (short of growing new chompers!) appreciated.:D

Hi, I know your pain......actually not quite.

I got complete upper dentures about 2 years ago, I worried that my diving was over, but I have no problem using any mouthpiece that I have come across thus far. I don't use any adhesives.

When I first got the denture it took about 6 months and a refit until it fit correctly without pain. There is alot of swelling at the beginning. Could it be that you just need to give it more time then get the dentures refit.....do you ever get pain eating....if so its the dentures.

There are custom mouthpieces you can buy at most shops or they can order for you. Clear poly-something product that you put in boiling water for a bit then bite don on and let set- just like you would an athletic mouth guard. I believe they are less than $30.00, maybe a lot less. If you get one and size it to your dentures, you should have a much better experience. If this won't relieve the problem, nothing will.
DivemasterDennis

SeaCure moldable mouthpiece is a great solution. Put it in boiling water for a few seconds, bite down, and there you go ... custom mouthpiece! My wife and I like ours so much that we bought spares and molded them too. They go along on every dive trip. Available from Scuba Toys and many other places, I'm sure.

There some less expensive alternatives to the Seacure such as Trident's R530, and Mares' Jax.

To all who responded - Thanks!

I'm going to order the Mares Jax to start with.
I've done the re-fit on the dentures and they do not hurt when I eat (anything) so I believe I've got as good of fit as is possible.

Wish someone would come up with something that would allow snorkeling or diving with Denture completely removed - Now That would be comfortable and safer!

Thanks again to all who replied - I appreciate your insight and time!

:D

I use a mouthpiece called "Manta Bite" I don't dive with my dentures in as the risk of gagging and choking is to great.

Back
Top Bottom