Steel Air Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dick-NY

Reaction score
:confused: Can anyone help me find the best & most cost effective place to buy my air tanks ? I live in central NY, and have most all of my gear except my tank or tanks. Thanks

Dick-NY once bubbled... :confused: Can anyone help me find the best & most cost effective place to buy my air tanks ? I live in central NY, and have most all of my gear except my tank or tanks. Thanks
Are you sure you need to own tanks? Many new divers, perhaps most, make out better renting since they don't have to pay the cost of the tank, annual visual, and five year hydro.

Dick-NY once bubbled... What is the cost of renting ?
That's one of the questions you need to ask at the place you are going to get air.

Once you know that and the cost of a visual and a hydro, you can figure out how much diving you need to do to make owning tanks worthwhile. If storing your tanks is going to be a pain, factor that in.

I've had periods when tanks that were given to me were more expensive than rented tanks.

One more thing, there is relatively little money in selling tanks, so you're not going to find much of a discount unless you catch a shop doing a closeout or selling off rentals.

:) Thanks Don for the info. It makes sense. I bought one old steel tank that was too old. It had the old style thread & neck. It would have cost too much too get back into service. Live & learn

This can be hard, there is only one dive shop (that I know of) in my diving area that rents steel tanks, so I found it safer to buy one so that I don't have to worry about availability.

Good luck
Lisa

lisacats once bubbled...
This can be hard, there is only one dive shop (that I know of) in my diving area that rents steel tanks, so I found it safer to buy one so that I don't have to worry about availability.

Good luck
Lisa

It is also more safe to own your own tanks. That is because you never really know what condition rental gear is in.

If you own a tank or two (or 10 like I do) then you can take good care of them, and you KNOW they are in top working order.

You have more flexibility about when to go diving, if you own your own tanks, than if you constantly rent them. Not all choices in life are rent-or-buy economic choices.

Are you sure you want a steel tank?

A Standard 80 can be acquired for around $150 or so, while steel tanks and bigger sizes run more. However if that would do, and your going to use it locally, owning would be cheaper than renting at $5 day, as I've seen some places.

If you are going to use it locally, though - you might check around. Many shops don't charge tank rentals when filling.

Or, if you'll be flying to dive, as I usually go - forget owning. Tanks are too difficult to fly, and Dive Operators usually furnish them on charters anyway.

Any details we need to factor in here...?

don

dandydon once bubbled...
... if you'll be flying to dive, as I usually go - forget owning. Tanks are too difficult to fly, and Dive Operators usually furnish them on charters anyway.[/SIZE]

Owning your own tanks is definitely limited to relatively close to home diving. That includes dive sites you can travel by car to, whether up or down the coastline, or to your favorite quarrys, lakes, or springs.

Back
Top Bottom