Tip for OW classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahooinit

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My girlfriend is getting certified and her instructor told them to tip the DM 20% of the course fee on the last day. Thats $60. She told me the DM has done nothing other than bring water to the dive. The OW dives are at a local pond about an acre in size and there are only 6 in the class.

This seems a little strange to me. I worked as a DM through college and never got tipped on OW classes...

As a DM who assists in OW classes, I think that instructor has done something lovely.

Maybe the students feel that the DM has only brought water. But is there an entrance fee for the site? The DMs have probably paid it themselves. Did the DMs help out in the pool? I'll bet they weren't paid for that. Did the DMs schlep gear for the students or instructors? Are they keeping records, and helping students put their gear together, and keeping a weather eye on things that aren't assembled right or that might cause trouble?

Even the shore support DMs give up a day of their time to help. The students might not recognize all the things they do, and probably don't realize that it's likely that no one but the primary instructor for the class is getting any recompense for being involved.

My husband encourages his students to tip the DMs. I don't care if they tip me, because I'm working on an agreement with my husband. But I think it's awfully nice to do something to recognize the other volunteers, whether it's money or a small gift or even a card.

When I recently took ow, dm went along on every cert dive & was there to overlook things for your safety while instructor focused on required drills.
Thats not, "dm did nothing"
Yes, I didnt tip but I didnt know any better..
Just took advanced open water with same instructor & dm, we opted for a weekend at Catalina instead of boring La Jolla..
I tipped both the instructor & dm as this to me wasnt just an ordinary class, if that makes any sense..
They suggested, cordinated hotel, ferry, dinner plans, golf cart, ect...
It wasnt by no means 20%, just a gesture of appreciation.

Last edited:
I can think of couple of reasons why the instructor will require an extra pair of hands.
1. Because he needs him in situation where he can't physically handle it.
2. Part of the course for the dm candidate.
When the class is more than couple of students, a smart instructor will always seek assistance just in case.
I do not agree why the ow student has to tip the dm even though he is there to assist them.

The instructor should had made it clear in the beginning of the course rather than on the last day!!!!

IMHO a diveschool/instructor gets paid to give a course. If a DM is needed to assist in giving this course, most likely because of the number of students, the diveschool/instructor should pay the DM for his work. The costs of this should be included in the price for the course. So like Centrals stated, asking for extra money at the end of the course is not appropiate.

different for each country, i know in the USA, tipping is very common. tipping barely happens in australia, only in restaurants or cabs.

The instructor should pay the DM.

Telling students (or anyone for that matter) they must tip and how much to to tip is not right.

It is a different matter for the instructor to let the students know about all the work the DM has done (as TSandM stated) and encourage that the DM will welcome any show of appreciation.

As a DM I did not get a lot of "tips". The occasional beer, sometimes a bit of cash, but the thanks and a round of handshakes and claps was most appreciated.

I did work with some instructors who paid me a percentage of their instructor fees - that is the model that I now follow. After all, who asks the DM to help - the Instructor.

My comments are in context of the the location of the OP and our tipping conventions in the US and Canada.

I have tipped for all of my courses. In my courses,the DM didn't do anything,but every time I looked up he was hovering nearby....ready in case I needed help. it was very reassuring.

Being TOLD to tip a certain amount by the person who "hired" the DM is somewhat absurd.The Instructor should pay the DM if he feels so strongly about him receiving $60. per student or suggest tipping whatever amount a student decides on their own.

Here in NY every Deli or corner store you go into they have a "Tip" cup on the counter it is ridiculous.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom