What size BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had a look for existing threads, but can't find one, so am here to ask some more experienced people for their help. I am going on a liveaboard and have booked to borrow a BCD and regs. The trip is with the school I learned to dive with, and I think they have booked my BCD in a particular size without asking me based on the size of BCD I wore when I learned to dive with them 18 months ago. But I have lost 70lbs since then so will probably not be the same size.

This leaves me asking which size I will need. What I need help with is calculating how much bigger a BCD to get than my actual chest size, based on my exposure suit. I tried some mathematical calculations based on circumference etc and the numbers didn't look right.

My chest is 31 around the rib cage, 37.5 round the rest, and I'm going to be wearing a 5mm suit. Any ideas?

Thanks,

L:blinking:

Lolain...I do not think you will get an answer from anybody here based on the fact that sizing is not standardized among manufacturers of BCD and wetsuits. Therefore my recommandation is to drop by the Dive Center and address this on site just by trying them. It will be much easier for you and the LDS rep to confirm whatever size they picked for you or simply set aside one of different size that fits you better. Happy diving.

RTee is exactly right. I would go one step further and find out the make and model of the bcd that the boat provides, if they are the provider, or if you are getting the item from the shop, try them on there. If you are renting gear from the boat, find out the brand and then, if your shop does not sell them, find a shop that does and try them on. One last point: you need to have some idea of what exposure suit you will be wearing, and factor that in. If you are diving in swim wear only or a skin, or a 3 mil wet suit or a 7 mil, there an be an impact. Work with the trip leader and your local shop. Get it right before you go. Have a great trip!
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom