You know it's a bad day to dive when...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GinaRae

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Your instructor thumbs the dive!

Went out for Advanced Open Water cert today, only myself and another student from my OW class.
There was quite a bit of chop.
Started with PPB and upon weight check at the buoy I sank...
Instructor couldn't get the weight out of my trim pocket so he pulled my integrated weight pocket to swap out a 3# for a 2#.
After about 3 minutes, which seemed like 30, and he couldn't replace the pocket, I told him I wanted to go ashore to adjust my weights and he agreed instantly, I later found out he was close to calling the dive but didn't want to cut us short if we were up to it.
For some background regarding my issues with weights... I had previously been over-weighted so much that I sank with a full BCD, so I have a bit of anxiety about being over-weighted.
When I headed back to shore I was a little off and ended up climbing over and around a bunch of rocks, surprisingly this didn't bother me because even though I was way off balance on weight (missing a pocket) I wasn't heavy.
At shore I got my breathing under control but my heart rate was still about 120, 60 is my baseline, so I chose not to go on the next dive.
My buddy tried the dive alone (with the instructor) and returned to shore crying... the visibility was so bad she couldn't do any of the tasks...
We were supposed to do a night dive, after dinner, but due to the conditions the instructor thumbed it...
Both myself and my buddy were willing to give it a shot but it just wasn't meant to be.
I'm glad I bailed on the 2nd dive, based on my buddy's reaction, because she is "stronger" than I am and I wasn't in the right frame of mind.

Today's lesson... Know when to say when...

We had a GUE Fundamentals class try to run last weekend. Between visibility in the two to three foot range, and wild currents, they could not find a place where class dives could safely be done -- they completed ONE.

It's not a great spring for diving classes. Glad you guys came out OK.

Good call ... knowing when to say when is an important skill to have.

Vis has been really bad here lately ... I've called a few class dives because of it. If I can't see the student well enough to evaluate what they're doing, it's rather pointless to be out there.

I also called a dive a couple weeks back because of wind ... when waves are slapping into the seawall, I won't risk getting a student caught between the wave and the wall.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is an important lesson. You can thumb a dive any time for any reason.

You can always reschedule a dive, you cannot reschedule a life.

Take your time and learn the skills. You will enjoy diving for a long time.

Your instructor thumbs the dive!

Sounds like a good day to dive to me. When the instructor DOESN'T thumb the dive is when it turns into a bad day to dive...

Sounds like you learned a valuable lessons that some divers learn from reading about someone else s misshape, that is that anyone can call a dive for any reason. There will always be plenty of chances to dive again.

Glad everything worked out for you and your buddy.
Knowing when to say when is a very valuable tool to have for your safety.
It seems like you are getting a little extra value from your course.

For me this is a visual sport and if vis is too bad, I end the dive.

Anyone can call any dive for any reason, including "it doesn't feel right".
Calling a dive automatically comes with immunity from any
harassment or name calling and cheap pokes from a buddy.

Dive Safe.

No shame in calling any dive for any reason. But, there are always alternatives, such as ascending a few feet or descending further if there's better current there.

But, on boat dives in buddy teams of more than 2, don't be surprised if they keep going when you thumb.

Ps- I KNOW what it's like to be in bad current and visibility less than arms length out. Just try diving the Whiskey Wreck in Gulf Shores at low tide. You'll get your fair share of "I'm in a washing machine" feeling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When the harbour is closed to all vessels except ferries, and the lifeboats go out to practice.

When while doing a safety stop, the waves are so high that you are able to wave at the people on the deck of the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom