Diving the local Y?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
Have any divers out there used the local YMCA to test out new gear and/or practice skills? I'm getting a bunch of gear together and while I'll be getting some training with the drysuit, I think it'd be good to get even more practice time under controlled conditions. Has anyone else done this, and how do you arrange to do it? Do you just find out what the off-peak hours are for the local YMCA and head down there?

Using any pool you can get to is better than not getting any practice at all. If an lds has a pool normally it will go at least 12ft deep for an extended length.

One key factor.....know what the pool uses for treatment. If it is chlorine....be sure to wash your gear spice girl well...really really really well. GET THAT CHLORINE OFF> \

It is not as bad if they use bromide ( or is it bromine??) point is...if its chlorine...just clean your gear well.

I generally try all my new gear in a pool before the open water. Try asking the LDS where you bought the gear if you can try it out whenever they are running a pool session. My LDS always lets customers into the pool (if there is room of course). And as RICHinNC said make sure you wash your gear really, really, really well after the pool.

Safe Diving:)

Oh yes. The dive club my husband and I started regularly holds scuba skills practice sessions at one of several pools and its a great time to check out new gear.

Julie

just go there and ask them if they would let you in at all...going to the pool without an instructor could cause problems, because the pools are not covered for liability if something happens, you might be able to get away with signing a waver....plus you should have valid insurance....see, this is all covered when an instructor is present...one more thing, why a drysuit...is that something you need ??? you do alot of ice diving ??? if you never wore a drysuit before, youd be surprised....good luck

Okay, it sounds like I should just use my LDS then and ask them about pool sessions...

ssdiver2003 once bubbled...
one more thing, why a drysuit...is that something you need ??? you do alot of ice diving ??? if you never wore a drysuit before, youd be surprised....good luck

Seattle in the winter is pretty cold. Not so much that a 7 mil farmer john wouldn't keep me warm in the water but that I want to be dry for the surface interval. My OW a month or two was about as much as I could tolerate.

March down to the local Y and hop on in. I am pretty friendly with the pool staff. That helps.

Learned to use my drysuit the same way.

Peter

For a long time, our local Y wouldn't allow any scuba in the pool at all. I've heard they changed that, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom