Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Appleby

Reaction score
Hi Everyone: Have been reading this board but must admit, I do not dive. However most of my family do. I have ear problems that keep me out of the deep stuff. Anyways, I was wondering if there is anywhere that I can look on the net to try and purchase a surface supply air unit (SSA) like a Brownies 3D Lung. Now, I don't even know what category to look under Air Supply doesn't appear to do it. I would actually like to find a used one if possible for a Xmas present. Any ideas? Sandi

First off... Welcome Appleby! From the great NorthWest.

You could search this board on that subject and find a ton of info.

Hi Sandi,

Divers supply carries them. http://www.divers-supply.com/home.html I'm with Walter, you really need to get some scuba training before using one of these things. For all practical purposes hookas are nothing more than a huge scuba tank with a really long hose. The same lung expansion hazzards exist with them just as with scuba tanks. Besides, you are still going to have to clear your ears exactly like in scuba, 30 ft on a hooka is no different than 30 ft on scuba. If you can go to that depth on a hooka, you can do it on scuba....and if you can make 30 ft, clearing to 100 ft in even easier.

Everyone else is correct. Breathing compressed air is the same from a compressor as it is from a tank. You are just as likely to get bent from a hooka as a tank. If you are not medically fit for SCUBA then you shouldn't dive period.

Scott

And today you get a wet rainy welcome from ARIZONA

not knowing the seriousness of your infection I think Hooka would only taunt you deeper, Do a search for Scuba ENT in your area and check with them, then get some qualified learning.

Glad to have ya here. I hope that I am not the only person that noticed that last line that said you were buying it as a present, not for yourself.

Stick around and learn. Maybe someday you will be able to dive and you'll be ahead of the game knowledge wise. It's also nice for your family to have someone around that understands what's involved in case you needed to spot something out of the ordinary.

So much for the long boring letter. Good luck! I hope you find what you are looking for.

Later, Hawk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom