Newbie - OW Referral Course (Tulamben)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cherry16

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Im very new to diving (though I've always wanted to do it)...in fact I've just done my confined water session last Saturday here in Sydney, Aus.

In two weeks time, I will be heading to Tulamben where I will do my open water dives to complete my course. Reason being, it's currently winter in Sydney and I thought that for a newbie like me (and someone who can not tolerate cold very well), a nice warm water would be a good place to start.

I haven't been to Tulamben and am only going by advise of people who have been there.

Would appreciate tips/pointers from anybody who has been there recently (especially from newbies like me who have recently completed their OW course in Tulamben).

thanks

Thanks Michael...your website is quite comprehensive! very helpful indeed:wink:

Tulamben is a big warm bath with perfect viz, in fact the conditions are so good that instructors sometimes skip the pool sessions and teach the confined water dives in the shallow parts of the bay. If you do want to do your OW in Sydney, it's not so bad with the right exposure protection, although I've had some rough times getting that one wrong. If you go over to Tulamben already certified, you'll be able to relax and enjoy the diving more.

Where are you doing your training in Sydney?

Hi Everyone,

Im very new to diving (though I've always wanted to do it)...in fact I've just done my confined water session last Saturday here in Sydney, Aus.

In two weeks time, I will be heading to Tulamben where I will do my open water dives to complete my course. Reason being, it's currently winter in Sydney and I thought that for a newbie like me (and someone who can not tolerate cold very well), a nice warm water would be a good place to start.

I haven't been to Tulamben and am only going by advise of people who have been there.

Would appreciate tips/pointers from anybody who has been there recently (especially from newbies like me who have recently completed their OW course in Tulamben).

thanks

I did my check dives in -1C water in a wetsuit.

Tulamben is a big warm bath with perfect viz, in fact the conditions are so good that instructors sometimes skip the pool sessions and teach the confined water dives in the shallow parts of the bay. If you do want to do your OW in Sydney, it's not so bad with the right exposure protection, although I've had some rough times getting that one wrong. If you go over to Tulamben already certified, you'll be able to relax and enjoy the diving more.

Where are you doing your training in Sydney?

Hi Cosimo,
Thanks for your feedback
To answer your question, the class will do their open water dives in Shelly beach this Saturday and Sunday. At least the weather forecast looks better compared to last week's.
I will definitely explore the Sydney dive sites when the weather is warmer, and I agree with you I need to work out the right exposure suits and thermals.
For now I will be looking forward to that warm bath (as you described) in Tulamben. I will be there for the whole week so will have to explore and practice more :)

I visited Tulamben last year - wonderful.

There isn't a lot to do on the land, unless you get a moped or car. The village itself is tiny, just a few bars, restaurants and dive operations. We stayed at Tulamben Wreck Divers, but dived with Blue Season Bali - no idea why as TWD have their own operation. It was just the package we ended up with.

The diving is wonderful - personally, I could have dived the wreck 20 times and not been bored. You may however be bored on the surface, especially if you're not doing lots of diving. You really have to rent a car or moped to see any life on the island - highly recommended.

I can't help with the OW question - we went as qualified divers, but there seemed to be a few training courses going on there.

Hope that helps!

Karen.

There was a minor quake when I was there recently so vis might be affected.

Its a shore dive & the shore is full of pebbles. Make sure you have dive boots and open heel fins or its going to be painful.

Also make sure your entry & exits are at high tide only, because at low tide its very difficult as you will be climbing over big rocks with full gear on.

I visited Tulamben last year - wonderful.

There isn't a lot to do on the land, unless you get a moped or car. The village itself is tiny, just a few bars, restaurants and dive operations. We stayed at Tulamben Wreck Divers, but dived with Blue Season Bali - no idea why as TWD have their own operation. It was just the package we ended up with.

The diving is wonderful - personally, I could have dived the wreck 20 times and not been bored. You may however be bored on the surface, especially if you're not doing lots of diving. You really have to rent a car or moped to see any life on the island - highly recommended.

I can't help with the OW question - we went as qualified divers, but there seemed to be a few training courses going on there.

Hope that helps!

Karen.

thanks Karen, indeed looking forward to multiple dives :)

---------- Post added July 7th, 2013 at 12:32 AM ----------

There was a minor quake when I was there recently so vis might be affected.

Its a shore dive & the shore is full of pebbles. Make sure you have dive boots and open heel fins or its going to be painful.

Also make sure your entry & exits are at high tide only, because at low tide its very difficult as you will be climbing over big rocks with full gear on.

thanks WhiteSands for the tip

Back
Top Bottom