Looking to obtain PADI licence in Thailand - With whom Do You Recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambrincat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here, I just signed up for some advice form my partner and I. We would like to plan a trip to Thailand in April this year (2014) we live in Australia.

We would like to obtain our PADI licence over there. We have looked a a few places online where you do the theory on shore and in the pool and then go out on the boat for a few days. They all look fantastic but.... so many to choose from.

We would like some recommendation on somewhere over there where we can obtain our licences that are:

- Reputable
- Nice people
- Good facilities
- Great location where we can see lots of activity

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Sam & Glenys

Personally I like Krabi province and diving with Poseidon Dive Centre in Ao Nang. Lots of topside scenery and things to do around Ao Nang and Krabi without the touts and bustle of phuket. You will be able to do the same dive sites as from Phuket. I have referred several people to the team at Poseidon who have all become repeat customers. Let Dan know you wish to be PADI certified as he is a CMAS instructor but can organise PADI certification for you if you wish. You will find there are other flashier looking shops in the area but you will most likely end up diving off Poseidons boat PDC1 as most of the other shops in the area do not have their own boat. The shop front is a temporary ''kiosk'' while Dan concentrates on getting the best possible boat happening so dont let that put you off.

Hi Sam and Glenys,

Welcome to SB. The task of finding a good shop and instructor is a daunting one. I have worked for several dive shops over the years on Phuket, so I think I can help. Phuket is a great place to dive and a great place to get certified. You will find cheaper places, but those places tend to have larger groups that do beach dives or small wooden "long-tail" boat dives with new inexperienced instructors that probably do not have work permits, are not insured, and often not even instructors yet as they are working off their instructor courses. Email my though my signature below and I will be glad to help you.

Joe

Hi there!

It really depends on your priorities for your holiday. Is getting your licence your main priority? Or is it more the location in terms of sightseeing, beachtime, nightlife, other activities etc whilst there? There are so many excellent options for diving in Thailand its difficult to narrow it down without a few parameters!

On the west coast you have the island options of Phuket, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta (Khao Lak season will be finished so that is out of the equation), and mainland options such as Krabi/Ao Nang.
To the East in the Gulf of Thailand you'l find Koh Phangan, Samui Tao and Koh Tao, of which Koh Tao is the better option (dive operators from the other 2 generally just charge more and speed boat you to Koh Tao dive sites anyway!).
Further north and closer to Bangkok you can dive on Koh Samet, and around Pattaya - although personally we wouldn't like to spend too much time in Pattaya if we could help it! There is also Koh Chang a little further East.

Once you've narrowed down your geographical area, we'd recommend having a look on trip advisor under the activities section for your chosen location, where you can find reviews of all the dive centres - and other activities - in the area, all written by previous customers. More and more travellers to Asia are now using this as a planning tool to get the most out of their holiday. From that you can build a shortlist of schools and either make email inquiries, or visit in person on arrival to get a face to face impression, although this approach may mean some courses are already booked up if you have not made a prior reservation.

One other thing to bear in mind...April 13th is Songkran (Thai New Year) and as such can be a very busy time of year for tourism, so its definitely worth booking transport, accommodation and your dive course in advance if possible. And we'd recommend not doing any travel portions of your trip on the 13th itself. Songkran is a water festival, but over the years has pretty much just turned into one big water fight, with anything you wear/own that you have with you getting saturated by water ballooons, supersoakers and general drenchings! Its great fun, and an excellent day to experience, but leave anything valuable - especially electronics - at home! Most smaller locations celebrate Songkran for just one day, but in some locations it can go on for a few days to a week. So be sure to check with your dive operator/hotel etc so you can be fully prepared beforehand!

Hope this helps. Safe travels and happy holidays :)

I was in Thailand in September at the end of the rainy season and I did my open water certification with David Sexton at Aussie Divers in Phuket. Post diving I was diving with dive master Neung (who has eagle eyes and can spot anything in the deep) at Aussie Divers as well. A buddy of mine was taught by Darren who owns Aussie Divers and was really pleased with the service/instruction he got as well. I enjoyed my time in Phuket but would advise staying away from any of the main areas.

I've also been to Thailand in April / May time and it's never a monsoon - it tends to rain around 4pm for an hour and then its done.

Good luck either way.

C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom