contacts vs prescription goggles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ARDory

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, so I have a tendency to be overly prepared, so I have yet another question before I begin my scuba adventure into the unknown waters.

I wear contacts and without them I am severely blind. Does anyone have prescription goggles they use or does anyone prefer just wearing their contacts and risking it? If I only lose one contact, yes, I still have another one, but seriously, with one contact in, I would just be swimming in circles and making myself dizzy.

I wear Accuvue II disposable contacts and have for nearly 20 years. I got them primarily for water sports but after putting them on I never again went back to glasses.

I've never lost a single one after a few hundred dives but now I have jinxed myself so probably should carry a spare on the boat.

I like being able to see both underwater and on the boat without having to swap a mask for glasses. I do wear reading glasses (1.25 x) but underwater don't really need anything special to read my gauges and camera settings.

I am not sure which agency you are doing your class with, but for me, I did my Open Water certification with PADI, and all skills that required flooding or removing your mask, you could close your eyes. You either will not be moving, or a buddy will be guiding you. So, wearing contacts should be just fine for your class.

And by the way, swimmers wear goggles, divers wear masks. Not a big deal, I knew what you meant :)

Gotcha, I just googled prescriptions and that's what came up. :wink:

---------- Post added January 13th, 2014 at 03:42 PM ----------

I wear the disposable as well and always carry an extra set with me. I worried about switching from mask to glasses after the dive, so I'm thinking I'll stick with my contacts. I'll just make sure I have a new pair in, so they won't dry out. Thanks bunches.

I also wear contacts and during training my instructor would allow me to keep my eyes closed during mask flooding and removal and tap me on the shoulder when time had elapsed to replace and clear my mask. By squinting your eyes as much as possible, you decrease salt water exposure to your contacts and I've had no issues. Have fun!

Also, you can easily carry spare contacts, but a spare prescription mask can be a bit much when travelling.

I am not sure which agency you are doing your class with, but for me, I did my Open Water certification with PADI, and all skills that required flooding or removing your mask, you could close your eyes. You either will not be moving, or a buddy will be guiding you. So, wearing contacts should be just fine for your class.

And by the way, swimmers wear goggles, divers wear masks. Not a big deal, I knew what you meant :)

and importantly -- if you do the contacts route for class - let your instructor know before you get in the water so they have a heads up. doesn't count against you at all, but helps to keep your instructor informed.

I've not really noticed any drying out with salt or fresh water - chlorinate pool is a different story. I change my contacts every 3 weeks (I take them out over night!) and never have felt the need to put in a fresh pair for a dive. Then again, you might wear the daily contacts so your situation would be different.

I wear contacts while diving as I then wont need to worry about prescription shades while on the boat :)
And its also easier to carry a spare mask if you dont rely on it being prescription of course. Any old mask (that work) will do..

I have a prescription mask and I have no issues with it. I take rx sunglasses and put them in the carrying case for the mask when I am using the mask and during surface intervals i put the mask in the bucket and wear my sunglasses. I do not wear contacts so it was not an option for me. However, as I said, it has been a non-issue in all aspects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom