What equipment to buy next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubemma

New
Reaction score
I currently have my personal dive system, pinnacle boots, aeris fins, and cressi mask and snorkel. But what's next? As you can tell I don't have brand loyalty or anything yet and I tried to go a little nicer than just cheap and basic. What type of equipment should I invest in, the class I'm taking we are just in a dive pool so that's all I have needed so far. So wetsuit (if so what thickness typically?), BC, regulator? I'm just thinking about what to invest in next. Thanks!

Where are you from? Where will you be diving? What type of diving do you plan on doing? What are your goals for diving? These are some of the things we would need to know to offer any kind of advice other than rent until you figure out where you are going with diving or if you even like it.

Personally I would wait until you get your OW cert and see how you really like it. If you decide this is your thing, I would invest in the following in this order (my 2 cents):

1. Regulator/Gauges - for me there is something about using a reg that other people use. It is also good to know how it is being serviced etc.
2. BCD/BPW - If you have the regulator the next thing for me would be the BCD or BPW. Definately give a Backplate Wing consideration. It is not techie and I wished I had moved to a BPW sooner. Look in the equipment thread for the endless comments about BPWs.
3. Wetsuit - Depending on where you dive this would be in my top 3. Definately for cold water where you have to have one. If you are diving cold water then I would consider this a #2 choice. It is all about fit....
4. Computer - Trust me you won't die if you don't have one.... Not high on the list. Tables are fine to use for all recreational dives. DCs are a convenience in my opinion. Learn the tables and then in a year or so look for a DC.

I would also include a cutting device (Line cutter not a Rambo knife) and whistle etc. initially. This is low cost and for safety. It also depends on where you dive if you need a Surface Marker Bouy (SMB).

Buy good quality so it will last and don't be pushed into a purchase just because you dive shop says its the best. There is a buch of very smart peple here that are more than willing to help you decide.

Thats about it. You will accumulate other stuff as you dive more.

Good luck and have fun!

Personally I would wait until you get your OW cert and see how you really like it. If you decide this is your thing, I would invest in the following in this order (my 2 cents):

1. Regulator/Gauges - for me there is something about using a reg that other people use. It is also good to know how it is being serviced etc.
2. BCD/BPW - If you have the regulator the next thing for me would be the BCD or BPW. Definately give a Backplate Wing consideration. It is not techie and I wished I had moved to a BPW sooner. Look in the equipment thread for the endless comments about BPWs.
3. Wetsuit - Depending on where you dive this would be in my top 3. Definately for cold water where you have to have one. If you are diving cold water then I would consider this a #2 choice. It is all about fit....
4. Computer - Trust me you won't die if you don't have one.... Not high on the list. Tables are fine to use for all recreational dives. DCs are a convenience in my opinion. Learn the tables and then in a year or so look for a DC.

I would also include a cutting device (Line cutter not a Rambo knife) and whistle etc. initially. This is low cost and for safety. It also depends on where you dive if you need a Surface Marker Bouy (SMB).

Buy good quality so it will last and don't be pushed into a purchase just because you dive shop says its the best. There is a buch of very smart peple here that are more than willing to help you decide.

Thats about it. You will accumulate other stuff as you dive more.

Good luck and have fun!

we did all that but in exactly the opposite order, makes more sense to me personally...start with the cheapest item, wetsuit is a personal thing, then get diving and rent BCD and Regs to see what you like, and that is exactly what we did
tried the Genesis BCD's for 3 trips and loved them, regulators was a different story, we decided to go with HOG

Where are you from? Where will you be diving? What type of diving do you plan on doing? What are your goals for diving? These are some of the things we would need to know to offer any kind of advice other than rent until you figure out where you are going with diving or if you even like it.
I have been in my class for 3 weeks now so I'm like 90% I'm ready to commit that's why I'm kinda starting to look now, it's through my university so they spread out the process rather than just 3 days.
I will most likely be diving in mid-atlantic to south east so anywhere from DC to GA not as often in FL just because of access, in the future though that would be the place to go but mostly NC and SC.
As of right now I do see long term involvement but I would like to start going to specialty classes and just get some diving and experience under my belt before doing advanced open water or anything.
I hope to kind of collect gear as I go because being just out of college=no money, but maybe nice grad gifts! So I will be renting whatever it is I don't buy, so I'd just like a good idea of the best order to ease myself out of renting and into owning all my own equipment.

so I'd just like a good idea of the best order to ease myself out of renting and into owning all my own equipment.

In no particular order (after mask):
regulator.....

agree with above. if there is one piece that is nice to have that you know you can rely on, it is your own reg. a close second for you might be a dry suit

1) Regulator - because you put it in your mouth.
2) Wetsuit (or Drysuit if necessary) - because you wear it.
3) BCD / Weights - so you can figure out perfect buoyancy and trim.

Get those 3 and you will dive a lot.

I have been in my class for 3 weeks now so I'm like 90% I'm ready to commit that's why I'm kinda starting to look now, it's through my university so they spread out the process rather than just 3 days.
I will most likely be diving in mid-atlantic to south east so anywhere from DC to GA not as often in FL just because of access, in the future though that would be the place to go but mostly NC and SC.
As of right now I do see long term involvement but I would like to start going to specialty classes and just get some diving and experience under my belt before doing advanced open water or anything.
I hope to kind of collect gear as I go because being just out of college=no money, but maybe nice grad gifts! So I will be renting whatever it is I don't buy, so I'd just like a good idea of the best order to ease myself out of renting and into owning all my own equipment.

For me, I bought all my gear after doing open water once, not passing and hating the hell out of my rental gear. I am glad I bought all my own gear but I wish I would have had a better experience with the back inflate BC. I was using a ScubaPro Knighthawk, looking back, it wasn't the BC that was the issue but not being instructed on how to use it and what it would act like in the water. I have since gone to a BP&W and love it but I believe I would be just as happy with either an Apeks Black Ice or an AquaLung Dimension. I originally purchased a ScubaPro Glide Pro jacket type BC but quickly found that I did not like the wrap around air bladder as I thought I would originally. A friend let me try his Hollis BP&W and that is when I turned to the darkside...hehehe... You will get a lot of people telling to go BP&W. I would suggest trying it but also try some other back inflate BC's that essentially do the same thing. I think you will find a BC that works great for you. As for reg's, I can't disagree with anyone above. Our LDS rents reg's but requires customers to buy a new mouth piece so that they can put it on a set of reg's anytime they rent them. I just found a great deal on a pair of ScubaPro Mk25/S600's, so if you look around you can find a good deal on some quality reg's.

Good to see that you are becoming a diver & committing to the sport!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom