Question on dive watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texanguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm planing on getting my OW this year, and I have a habit of researching everything like crazy. Anyway, I stumbled upon a video that shows you how to use dive tables, when it occurred to me that I would need some kind of watch. My question is, would a regular wally-world watch that claims to be water proof up to 150m would work? Or do I need a watch that is made for diving?

Your help is appreciated.

Better buy some dive computer like Suunto Vyper Air or chep like Mares Puck , about 150usd

Sent from my Lenovo K900 using Tapatalk

The best advice given to us about watches was to get the ones that say "divers" somewhere on it. The regular waterproof ones were said to flood at depth. If it helps, try looking for "xonix" ones. The one I got was the second cheapest in the store (because it had a light), and it is diver rated to 100m. Incidentally, I heard that the same model of my watch was taken to over 2 times that depth on multiple occasions while other helluva expensive branded watches failed. At the time, it cost around $10 when converted.

The best advice given to us about watches was to get the ones that say "divers" somewhere on it. The regular waterproof ones were said to flood at depth. If it helps, try looking for "xonix" ones. The one I got was the second cheapest in the store (because it had a light), and it is diver rated to 100m. Incidentally, I heard that the same model of my watch was taken to over 2 times that depth on multiple occasions while other helluva expensive branded watches failed. At the time, it cost around $10 when converted.

Which model of Xonix watch was that?

Field ranger. Evidently, I was mistaken, only rated to 50 m but still went to 200m+. I ain't complaining though.

If you read the fine print in the watch manual many will say that only the ones rated diver 200m are suitable for scuba diving. Casio is one of those for example.

Support | Casio - G-Shock

But the good news is you can get a Casio g shock rated to 200m for under $100 bucks many places. I would not go pushing the buttons on it at depth but that's just me.

Casio men G-Shock Diver Watch, DW5600E-1V

I personally would go for this one because I prefer analog watches and know how to tell time on one. Casio G-Shock Antimagnetic Diver Watch, G100-1BV

150 meters, maybe...but this one to 200 meters, absolutely 100% guaranteed(lol by me).....Been pimping this one for many years here(been using one like it since about '89)......around 25 bucks to your door step......No one can't beat that with a stick....&---good luck in your up & coming diving, have fun.....click link

Casio-DW290-1V-Mens-Classic-Black-Casual-Sports-Grey-Digital-Dial-Alarm-Chronograph-Dive-Watch_p_38933.html

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Classic...284?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1253629757&sr=1-284

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust my "200 m water resistant" G-Shock watch to take it diving any more. A while ago it started showing visible signs of moisture inside the display, even though I've never taken it diving and it's only a couple of years old. That being said, it's been holding up better and longer than any other watch I ever had before.

If you read the fine print in the watch manual many will say that only the ones rated diver 200m are suitable for scuba diving. Casio is one of those for example.

Support | Casio - G-Shock

But the good news is you can get a Casio g shock rated to 200m for under $100 bucks many places. I would not go pushing the buttons on it at depth but that's just me.

Casio men G-Shock Diver Watch, DW5600E-1V

I personally would go for this one because I prefer analog watches and know how to tell time on one. Casio G-Shock Antimagnetic Diver Watch, G100-1BV

I have pushed them----many times UW for almost 30 years---& never had one flood......IMO, push away all you want..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom