Smoker :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terrific

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I am 46 years old and have smoked for many years. Not too many, but still....

Can I realistically start scuba diving as if my understanding is correct, my lung capacity might not be able to handle the air and the excess pressure caused by diving. I would really love to give this a go as my 12 years old is very excited about going with his Dad.

Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated (apart from the obvious :)

I have many questions but will drip them in one by one.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Richard
As an ex smoker (15 years) and a diver for a whole lot longer don't worry about it.
As long as you can meet the swimming requirements and they are not very hard you will be fine.
Have fun with your son and enjoy the shared experience.

Others can confirm but I think all that matters is you don't stop but you can switch between crawl, breastroke, on your back, etc.
Have a word with your instructor and have a few pool sessions with your son to get some practise in.
Anyway it's time to stop smoking, use this as a good excuse. :wink:

Your dive medical should include a lung function test - I smoke (yeah, yeah i know) and easily passed the lung function test. This will give you your lung age as well as reassure you that smoking and diving wont kill you....have a look at how many DMs around are chain smokers.

Hi,

I am 46 years old and have smoked for many years. Not too many, but still....

Can I realistically start scuba diving as if my understanding is correct, my lung capacity might not be able to handle the air and the excess pressure caused by diving. I would really love to give this a go as my 12 years old is very excited about going with his Dad.

Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated (apart from the obvious :)

I have many questions but will drip them in one by one.

Thanks in advance

Richard

You'll have to get medically cleared by your doctor... and you know what he/she is going to tell you.

Smoking is not an absolute contradiction to diving. Many divers smoke.

You didn't want to hear the obvious so I won't tell you that smoking will shorten your life. I won't tell you that we're here for such a short time as it is that it's a shame to deliberately ravage your body and die before you really needed to. I also won't tell you that dying of things like lung emphysema or cancer are horrible, painfully slow and frightening ways to die. I won't tell you any of that.

R..

I would really love to give this a go as my 12 years old is very excited about going with his Dad.

The issue with smoking... or at least one of them... is the increased gooey mucus it causes. This mucous has the potential to create alveolar blockages... and the possibility of causing embolism. In theory at least... Think of it this way: it's a bit like diving with a chest cold.

Other than that, there's no particular reason that a smoker can't dive and certainly many do. Something in your post suggests that you have concerns about the swim... Are there other underlying issues, such as cardiac fitness, obesity etc.? If so, then perhaps you should consider working on this stuff before you start diving.

There are other issues with smoking that relate to diving such as the increased levels of carbon monoxide in your blood which reduces the efficacy of oxygen use, but this isn't likely be an issue at the early stages of diving.

And I'm sorry, but I am going to state the obvious... It's awesome that you and your kid want to dive together. Only one of my kids took it up, and a week I spent diving with my daughter in Utila will always stand out as one of the best weeks of my life. As a Dad, why do you continue to smoke? You know it's going to kill you eventually, right? If you don't care about yourself, quit for your kid(s) sake. They want you around for a long time...

Thanks everyone,

I really appreciate the replies. I have always been a bit hesitant of diving (a rather strange experience a few years ago) but my sons enthusiasm is beginning to rub off on me and hence the decision to learn

I have been off the smokes for a week and I am doing it for all the reasons. I am presuming that everything will be easier from this point on (I have noticed already). Physically I am fit, the right weight and can run about 5K before boredom sets in. If I need advice about equipment, cost etc, should I post it on a new thread?

Really appreciate the replies so far.

Don't be persuaded to buy gear yet beyond a mask, a snorkel, and if forced fins.
Find a mask that fits, this makes a big difference. If possible ask the shop if you can try a bunch in the pool, they may have rentals that you can test.
Same with your son.
Fins are a personal choice, for your classes the cheapest will be perfect. Once you know the diving conditions and your personal response to the water temp you can decide on wetsuit, boots, full foot fins or open heal, etc etc and all the other opportunities to spend money that this hobby brings.

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress

That's "terrific"! :)

I'm always impressed with folks who are successful at quitting. I have never smoked, but I have more than enough other bad habits that I've "quit" dozens of times, so I think I understand just a wee bit, how difficult it must be.

Maybe you should post updates here on your progress! You would find a pretty supportive crowd I think.

Regarding your other questions, you can often find answers just be searching. There aren't many topics that have escaped scrutiny on SB. If not, pick a category and ask away!

Good luck kicking the evil weed, and congratulations!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom