Glad I found this place...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNewbie

Reaction score
Greetings! I am thrilled to have found this place! I can already tell that I will learn so much from everyone here.

I am new to SCUBA. My husband and I plan to get private instruction in February and hope to complete our open water dive in Jamaica during our March vacation. I do have a question though after reading around a bit. It's probably a silly one but hey, I'm a newbie and can get away with it, right? Here goes...

I'll be teaching some fitness classes at the resort we're staying at. Will the diving have any impact on my ability to exercise within a day of the dive(s)?

Thanks in advance,
Kimberly

Newbie,

Welcome aboard, just out of curiosity, how did you find this site? Not this this place is a secret, hehe, but not very heavily advertised, actually, not advertised at all so far.

=-)

You should use caution when exercising after diving. If you do to much, it could cause a DCS hit. You should also stay well hydrated if you plan on exercising immediately before diving, for the same reason. How much is too much? Well that's debateable and there is no definate answer. You can find more info at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org.

About Jamaica...Where in Jamaica are you going? My wife and I were in Negril this past October. The diving wasn't up to other Caribbean locations standards, but we enjoyed it. The fish life isn't too good, small and few in some locations, and the reefs aren't that colorful. But it beets the hell out of quarry diving. If I were you, I'd research the dive op that's going to be doing your OW dives. Reason being the one we used, Sandals Negril, wasn't very good. Great people, friendly and nice, but just not who I'd want teaching me. They seemed to just rush things too much with there OW students.

Thanks for the link. I'm heading that way for some reading now.

We'll be in Ocho Rios for our dive. I glanced at a book on Caribbean diving and there were a few beginner spots listed in that area. I would like our first experience to be the best possible so, just as you suggested, we'll probably contact an outfitter insted of going with the resort reps. We don't want to feel like a piece of cattle in a herd.

Thanks for the response!

Kimberly,
I'm sure that if you ask the same question in this sites Scuba Medicine section along with some specifics as to how much exercise and the interval amount between dives and workouts etc, the boards Doctors will be able to shed some light on your question.

Sea you in the Deep Blue,
Mario :D

Welcome to the best scuba boards on the net Scuba Newbie :)
btw where are you from?

:goofy:

Hi ScubaNewbie,

Welcome to the board. What part of NC? If you are in the Raleigh area, I can recommend a couple of active clubs to visit.

Hello guys I am new here and I would like to know why if you exercise after diving you may get a DCS hit. My main sport is Tennis. I am a coach and a very advanced player. What I mean by this is that I usually get into a court for 3 to 4 hours if I am playing and for up to 8 hrs if I am teaching. This is almost every day. I would like to know if there is anything that I can do to prevent this without doing the obious that is not diving or not playint tennis.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom