I need some basic advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpotts86

New
Reaction score
# of dives
  • hey, I am here because I need experienced advice since I'm not having much luck on Google. Eventually I will get my cert and equipment, but not in the budget for now. I am going to Ginnie Springs, FL tomorrow, and last time we went there were some AMAZING caves to explore but impossible to hold your breath very long. We don't dive yet. I just saw a movie of some carrying these 1 foot portable oxygen tanks around (for emergency purposes but will serve ours well), which I was interested in buying. Then I was also thinking about some kind of 20 ft hose that one person can hold at the surface while the other goes under to swim around. I'm not talking anything serious, just a 5-10 minute exploration. Do you experienced divers have any input or advice? I'd really appreciate it, I'm determined to figure something out.

Do you experienced divers have any input or advice? I'd really appreciate it, I'm determined to figure something out.
My advice is to enjoy the view at Ginnie from the surface and from whatever you can do an a single breath and erase the idea of obtaining some type of under water breathing apparatus until you undertsand the hazards that are associated with it.
The idea of a 20' foot hose is just not smart. The worst that could happen is you'll pass out and drown.

Yes, watch this video:
[video=youtube;PVmqK5YZuxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVmqK5YZuxM[/video]

Since you don't have any training at all, you don't understand why those options are a bad idea (hose or "spare air"). Even if a cave or cavern were not involved, they will get you killed.

The good news is this. For the price of one of those spare air bottles, it will almost cover a scuba course. It will definitely cover one if you wait for a groupon. Both of those things can get you killed pretty easily. You'll learn about exactly why in an open water scuba class.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/scuba-haven-dive-center Here's a groupon class for $190 bucks and you probably pass fairly close to this place on the way from Miami to Ginnie.

Last edited:
20 foot hose won't even work. Anything deeper than say 3 feet or so and you won't be able to breathe from it.

Don't do it. There are a lot of factors that you are not aware of, particularly on shallow dives, that could do serious harm or kill you. You need to understand how depth affects air in the tank and in your lungs. At the depths and times you are talking about you almost certainly won't get bent but there are far worse things that could happen because of inexperience and lack of understanding of a number of factors.

In addition, venturing into an overhead environment with no penetration training is seriously stupid. Going into an overhead environment without even open water scuba training is simply begging to recieve a Darwin Award. In case you don't know what that is - it's an award given to people who die doing something so outrageously stupid that they should not live to breed - survival of the fittest in it's purest form.

Stick with snorkeling till you save up enough to get certified. Then rent equipment till you save up enough to buy your own. A mask, fins, and snorkel are affordable by nearly everyone.

Even though I have a number of advanced certifications I often snorkel because of the freedom from equipment that snorkeling offers, the lack of any time restraint (I can stay in the water for as long as I want - usually hours). I often snorkel places that I would never bother to gear up to dive - very clear, shallow rivers, for example. It's amazing what you can see from the surface. Be satisfied with that for now.

The setup you are talking about is called Snuba. It is done at some popular resort locations. You receive instruction first and do it with a dive master.

Sounded to me like he was talking about a simple hose open at the surface rather than a snuba system with a compressor.

I can't really see Ginny Springs allowing one though.... but they do offer Discover Scuba i think for the ballroom

into the CAVES is certified cave divers only............

Save your money and use it toward actual scuba certification.
Those caves may look compelling but they are a real quick way to find out if Jesus is real!
Once you become open water certified to dive you are a very very long way from being qualified to enter a cave.
I have been diving for many years and have 100's of dives and I am not qualified to even take a sneak peek into one!
Part of the certification process is an expansion of your body of knowledge regarding under water environments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom