New to diving, new BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just purchased a zeagle zena for my wife this weekend. we have manually filled it up and squeezed it - seems fine... but after a while (couple of hours or overnight) it appears like it has decreased in air - is it busted with a leak? please help, we are also new to diving. should we just take it back to the dive store?

I'd take it back to the dive shop and ask them to do a test for you. Tell them to let it wait overnight. There's not much risk in doing that. If there is actually a leak (which is rare, but it does happen), they can fix it for you.

My Zena developed a leak after using it for a year, and I still got a free replacement bladder. My shop was able to take one out of another Zena they had in stock and give it to me right away while they waited for the new one to come in.

The dump valves can also leak. If that's the problem, they can probably just fix it in the shop.

Zeagle is good with their warranty issues. Is it possible that temperature reduced the pressure some. Maybe you inflated in the sun or heat of the day them moved to the shade or the air temp cooled down?
If not I would take it back to the shop or maybe even submerge it in a pool or bath tub to see if you see the leak. Easier to point it out to a shop that way.

You could try checking the BCD yourself by filling it with air and putting it in your bathtub or pool, if you have one, to see if there are any clearly visible leaks. If there is you will see bubbles coming off the BCD near the leak location, that will confirm your suspicion. Or you could just bring it back to the shop where you purchased it and let them check it out for you, as was suggested by the other poster. Even if you do find a leak, you will probably not be able to repair it yourself, nor would I recommend fixing it yourself, but at least you can pass the information on to the shop as to leak location to expedite the process.

Are you sure the Dump valves and inflator rinse screw are all tightened?

Even with new BC's, some of them with zipties on the inflator, they'll leak if there aren't 2 zipties or if they're not staggered right.
Dunk test in a barrel of water should be able to visually confirm where any leaks are.
Shop can do that for you too.

All great advice. I seem to think that there isn't a problem, but I'm just gonna take it to the shop and have them take a look. Brand new BCD, Zena Zeagle -- they should make sure it's perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom