Possible new one-handed diver needs guidance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ninadeer

New
Reaction score
I have friends and family who scuba dive, and who are chomping at the bit to get me started. They're not having any trouble convincing me!

No beating around the bush, though, I'm missing most of my left arm below my elbow. I have 2-3 inches of forearm that I use mostly as a second hand. This is from birth, and I am extremely competent at most things I try. I was a server and bartender for years. I'm good at yoga. 'No' is not really an answer I accept.

That being said, I understand that figuring out how to operate the dive equipment is going to take an extra step to learn and to adjust to my unique needs. I will be having one private lesson with an instructor first who can help me out, but I wanted as many oinions as possible instead of just the one.

I tried on a BCD the other day with the buoyancy lever on the bottom left side of the vest (not sure how standard that is). I could operate it with no issues. What did get brought up was the integrated weight system - one on each side that would need to be pulled simultaneously in an emergency. I could pull them in quick succession, but not simultaneously. Later on I noticed someone using a weight belt instead of integrated weights (only one clasp!), but was told they don't work well with BCDs, and are generally used by freedivers. I have, however, found several topics on this site about using a mix. Is it possible to use only a weight belt and a non-weight integrated BCD? I'm not sure how much weight belt compatibility would be affected by body shape, but I am a very nearly pear-shaped woman, so there is a lot of hip.

I also noticed that the compass/computer combination seems to usually be hooked to the left side. Is it possible to hook it to the right instead or should the right hand be freer than that?

Any recommendations or suggestions or random thoughts would be helpful! Thanks!

A few easy things...

Weights - wear a weight belt. Whoever said "they don't work well" doesn't know what they are talking about. Standard convention is that the buckle is a "right-hand release" so one handed release with your right hand is no problem. Body-type could be an issue, but give it a try. Also, some weight-integrated BCDs are easier to release than others and/or have the release tabs more in the front. Assuming you could reach the left side with your right hand... there's no rule that says you need to ditch the weights simultaneously.

Computer/Console - no reason they can't be on one side versus the other. Even if it comes off the left side of your reg you can clip it on your right side. There are also wrist-mount computers. If you buy your own gear make sure that your reg has a high-pressure port on the right side (some have one on each side, some only have one) or that the reg can be flipped if there's only one.

BCD - I would stay away from anything with a "lever" even if you had THREE arms. Look into a BP/W setup. There are some that would allow the low-pressure inflator hose to be run over the right shoulder instead of the left.

Also check with the HSA (Handicap Scuba Association) and see if they can point you towards specific gear choices and configuration options - https://www.hsascuba.com

As you probably know better than most folks... where there's a will, there's a way!

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

What part of the world do you dive in? I am a volunteer with the Monterey Bay Veterans working on their Lift to Freedom Project. Diving from the Freedom is not limited to disabled American Veterans only.

The entire swim step moves between deck level and -4' and ambulatory divers like yourself are supported along with non-ambulatory divers.

Attachments

• freedomportsternSea.jpg
    freedomportsternSea.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 446
I'm in Berkeley. Only a couple hours away.

Although in all honesty after reading about your organization, I'm not sure it's for me. But thank you for the information, and if it comes to it, I might investigate further.

In the answer to your weight question. You only need to pull one pocket to send you to the surface. Or pull one at a time if you need to pull both out. Reinstalling in the water might be a challenge though.

For the computer, you can if your 1st stage has HP port in the right spot for it. Keep in mind not to tangle hoses as your regulators will be on that side as well with the i3 BCD. Your LDS should be able to help you out with that.

Stay away from anything with a gimmick. The lever is a gimmick.

You can get a BPW with a center mounted inflator that will allow you to route the hose over your right shoulder. A tech type longer hose set up would be what I would also recommend but route the short hose from the left and the long hose could come as it usually would since you would donate it with your right hand. The backup on a proper length bungee could easily be popped in with your left forearm.

I would think that for the primary a 40 inch hose routed under your right arm with a 90 degree adapter would be the shizzle. This set up would not present any issues with getting things tangled up that I can see. A little practice and you'd likely be as smooth as anyone in an air share. That your left has been this way since birth means that you have discovered you can do things with it that others would think impossible. The body is a marvelous device that adapts in many ways if we allow it to.

You'd just need to brief whoever you were diving with. If they had a problem with it, that's probably someone you don't want to be in the water with anyway!

I wear my computer on my right wrist and compass on the left. You could still wear your gauges on the left. As for the SPG no reason you can't come off the right side and clip it off on the right or get a slightly longer SPG hose and clip it off to a d ring on your left chest. Easy enough to tilt up so you can see it with the right hand. As for weight pouches, whoever said you need to ditch both simultaneously is also someone you don't want to dive with. They are full of crap. Dropping both at the same time should never be absolutely necessary and at depth should be an absolute last resort. You drop both pouches at depth on divers who are already dead. At the surface one is more than enough. If not you are over weighted and need to do a real weight check.

Personally I hate integrated BC's and only use a belt. You can get them with individual pockets that allow you to easily drop one or two weights without risking a rapid ascent.

Not just possible... You will do just fine..

Random thought: I would consider Akimbo's kind offer in a whole different light. They help you just a little (cause that is all you are going to need) then you volunteer to help them after you are certified and trained to help others. Just my random thought and you asked from them.

This was very helpful, thank you! Good things to know. A couple quick things...

BCD - I would stay away from anything with a "lever" even if you had THREE arms. Look into a BP/W setup. There are some that would allow the low-pressure inflator hose to be run over the right shoulder instead of the left.

Noob question - why would a lever be something to steer clear of for anyone? It actually seemed a little perfect for me - something I'd be confident I could do well with my left arm.

Assuming you could reach the left side with your right hand... there's no rule that says you need to ditch the weights simultaneously.

The weight pulls were in the front, so I could reach the left side weight and remove it without issue. (Thank god my genes gave me long limbs!) If it's not required to ditch at the same exact time, then I'd really encounter no issues with an integrated weight system?

As you probably know better than most folks... where there's a will, there's a way!

Preach!

---------- Post added October 7th, 2014 at 05:57 PM ----------

Thank you so much for you excellent answer!

Stay away from anything with a gimmick. The lever is a gimmick.

You feel as strongly about the lever as RJP does. Why do you consider it so gimmicky?

That your left has been this way since birth means that you have discovered you can do things with it that others would think impossible. The body is a marvelous device that adapts in many ways if we allow it to.

Exactly! :)

Last edited:
The lever has been known to get snagged on things and inflate or deflate when it does. What if your arm slips up or down at the wrong time. Rare but with a new diver not worth the risk. I did get a chance to try one and don't like it at all.

It also requires more maintenance should something happen to it and you can't service it yourself. It is a series of rods and valves according to their own description. Translated - more failure points.

A standard inflator on a BPW goes bad? Take it off, throw it away, put a new one on for 25 bucks. How often do they fail? Hmm over 300 dives on one of mine, only rinsed, never taken apart, still works like new. Others have thousands of dives on theirs with minimal maintenance and no issues.

If the lever fails there is a tube you have to pull out to inflate the BC manually. Ok, unless you are having problems and the person helping you can't find it. Gear should be configured for self rescue and easy rescue by any other diver without having to go through unusual steps to assist you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom