How to prevent and/or handle aquatic animal injuries ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namerg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I found the following:

*Avoid wearing shiny, dangling jewelry, which may look like baitfish/small prey to some predators

So, in the attachment do I have to get rid of my bracelets or somehow cover them ?

Thoughts ? Thanks for your help.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416090624.925927.jpg

Well, I wouldn't risk :) ...

However, you will have trouble with your suit with them - and the salt water will damage them also.

You'll be alright with those under your wetsuit. Plenty of my friends did it in Santa Cruz. You just come out of your wetsuit with some interesting hickey lines.

That metal also looks dull enough to not flash a glare, so you should be alright if you go with arms exposed.
It really depends on which fish you encounter that will dictate whether you find this advice useful.

Barracuda and predators that prey on silvery fish would take to glitter and flash with curiosity.
Most large sharks, not so much. Some 6 footer pelagic sharks, potentially, but you're hard pressed to dive with those.

Silver fish are indicative of small sized fish that school and use the silver flash to disorient their predator.
Think paparazzi blinding the crap out of you.
So you're looking to worry about fish that would prey on that. Nothing real large, just something that will hurt an awful lot if it did bite you.

Good advice about exposing my arms with the wetsuit.

Oh, I wasn't insinuating that, but feel free to.
I was saying that if you went in a shorty or rash guard with your arms exposed.
Never thought to pull the cuff up on a full suit.

And also yes, Salt water will help to fade and degrade the material faster. So be sure to rinse that in the shower or under a sink after.
The scuba rinse bucket tends to get kinda filthy.

Ohh sorry sorry. I misunderstood i can dive as long as my bracelets are covered with the wetsuit, right ?

Ohh sorry sorry. I misunderstood i can dive as long as my bracelets are covered with the wetsuit, right ?

Yes, you can dive with them under your wetsuit.
Just be mindful, if it creates a real painful pressure point then listen to your body and take them off.

And if you dive with something that doesn't cover your arms, you won't be in dire constant danger.

I film in bait fish schools occasionally. I've been joined by barracuda for lunch. They've never shown any interest in the chrome d-rings on my BCD. One was kind of interested in his reflection in my video port once but I think he intimidated himself since the reflection probably looked bigger than he did. I don't recommend it unless you've been around them though - every once in while I find one having a bad day.

Sharks your size or smaller are more afraid of you than you are of them. Sharks twice your size probably also. You're not a food source to them and neoprene smells bad. As long as you don't step on one sleeping on the bottom you'll be OK. I dropped in off a boat onto a 6' reef shark once. He was more terrified than I was and took off in a hurry. The captain was diving under the boat and thought it was pretty hilarious.
Avoid wearing shiny, dangling jewelry, which may look like baitfish/small prey to some predators
Really none of them are going to be eying your bracelets and thinking food? Think about fishing lures. Yours look nothing like those.

Your bigger concern will be not stepping on a sea urchin. That hurts...

And don't get too close to one of these either if it's guarding a nest. It would rip your head off if it could - at 2inches long not likely. And it bites...

black-and-white-damsel-fish.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom