Newly Certified Old Farts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Morgan1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All –

My wife and I (old farts – 50) were PADI OW certified in Maui this past September (2014). We are now ready to start rockin’. Living in Atlanta doesn’t afford us many diving opportunities so we have to travel. Our LDS has a trip planned to the FL Keys in March that we would really like to go on. Yet we have some concerns. Mainly being new divers and it being our first real dive (and 6 months from our cert). Our concern is that we will hold back or get in the way of the rest of the group that has more experience. (ever heard of the book “Scuba Snobs” – well I read it and now I’m worried that we might do something that would end up in the next version…) What if we have some unexpected issue in the middle of the dive and everyone has to go back? Or equipment issues on the boat? Etc, etc? We have come up with a list of hundreds of things that could go wrong that could ruin the trip for everyone else. We have access to a heated pool at our LDS and have started using it to practice our skills. Our LDS helped us pick out some very nice equipment (all Scubapro) so we are getting used to it as well. But I really don’t think any measure of pool practice would get us ready for the “big dive”. So my question is, how do we really get prepared? I’ve wondered if I should call a DM in FL and try to line up a private trip or something like that beforehand. Sounds very expensive though – haven’t checked that out yet. I’m open to thoughts, ideas, suggestions, opinions, hints, plans, etc. If you got ‘em, I’m interested.

Thanks much!

You will not be different from other new OW. Do not worry :)

Congratulations! I think practicing in the pool is a great idea. Any chance of making a long weekend and heading to east coast and try and get a few dives in before?

Also, since the trip is sponsored by your shop, I would think you should be OK and be in good hands there. They will probably have someone from the shop "leading" the trip. Find out who and talk with them.

I didn't start diving until I was 53 and I am 56 now and plan on doing it for a very long time. Also, as long as I can't draw against my 401K without penalty, I am NOT an old fart! :wink:

Things will probably go OK. I was certified at 51 and had the same worries at Vortex Spring for my first dive. Tank slipped, but that's no big deal. Maybe you could find a lake or somewhere near home to get that first post cert. dive in beforehand. Buoyancy is a big thing.

Captain,
As a relatively new diver, I can relate to your concerns. But the fact that you are concerned, should be viewed as a positive. You are much more apt to pay attention, listen to advice, exercise caution, and be cognizant of your surroundings and your impact on other divers when actually care about being a good diver. My advice? Remember what you learned in your OW course and associated dives. Relax. Take the time you need to orient yourself and prep your gear. And don't be afraid to proclaim yourself as a newbie. Most divers are very helpful and will give you advice and support as needed. And don't forget, you've got maturity on your side. Use it! I obtained my OW at the age of 50, and have enjoyed the sport immensely. Met some great folks along the way as well. Have an excellent adventure!

Go on the trip .Diving should fun and not relegated to what a book says.You won't be in anyones way go and enjoy!

Wife and I did much the same. The Keys are a great first dive trip. Your concern is admirable. Frendliness and a positive attitude (along with your training) go a long way. Try not to over think it and have fun. :)

Worry a little less, dive more, and have FUN!!

Don't get yourself all psyched out over it. Just go dive and have fun. Practicing in pool is a great idea. Depending on where you end up, if there is a chance to do a shore dive or two (not familiar with Keys diving), try that out to get comfortable. If not, don't sweat it. Last several boat dives, we had people of all levels of experience and they all did great. And 50 isn't an old fart (just turned 50). You're only as old as you think you are. At 50, you can decide that its time for a rocking chair, or you can decide to get out there and do stuff. Sounds like you are doing stuff...so have a great time and enjoy!

Remember that every single diver on the boat made his first boat dive trip. If you are polite and honest, you shouldn't have any problems. Let the dive operator know ahead of time that you are new and would prefer to dive within your certification limits, so you don't get taken somewhere completely inappropriate.

As for old farts . . . I got certified at 51, and my husband, who was recertifying after a long lapse, was 57. He is now an instructor and I am a DM, and both of us have tech certs, and we are leaving on a cave diving trip tomorrow. You are not "old farts"!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom